failed repairs by apple

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paisios, Aug 27, 2008.

1. paisios macrumors member

I've recently taken in my imac 20" g5 for a fried hard drive and a monitor with flickering green pixels.

When I got it back there were small black spots on the monitor. I also noticed while at the apple store that the foot had been scratched up pretty bad.

So, they took it back for another 2 weeks or so. And now that I've got it back yesterday after it being away a month or longer, I'm noticing some small scratches on the monitor (cover?) as well as on the clear plastic casing. Some of which are more like tiny chunks taken out rather than scratches. Also the monitor has what appear to be dim areas. They are really noticeable during startup (grey screen) and when I'm working on certain graphic design layouts and pictures (not as noticeable depending on what I'm working on, but I still see them!)

What gives? I'm about to make my 5th trip to apple within the last month or so. I've been without my mac for as long, since they can't seem to get it right or are returning it with new problems.

What should I say to them besides the obvious? I've heard (from an apple store genius that helped me the second trip) that apple will likely do something to "take care of me" after returning this for the 3rd time for the same issues.

I'm out driving time, personal time, and I've had to delay some projects because I need the bigger 20" monitor to do some large format graphics work.

This is really costing me money and time. And seems pretty ridiculous that they can't take a good look at something before they return it to me. Not to mention scratches from who knows what.

Sorry for the long ramble, I'm pretty upset right now and need some advice.

To recap and make this a little more legible here's how it went down:

1- Trip to applestore because of green flickering pixels and fried hard drive

2- Trip to applestore to pick-up 2 weeks later

3- Trip to applestore very next day because of black spots on monitor they replaced. Noticed moderately severe scratching on foot.

4- Trip to applestore to pickup 2 weeks later.

5- Trip to applestore tomorrow because of dim areas on monitor they replaced. Noticed small scratches on monitor. And deeper scratching on outer case on rear top edge.

I'm concerned with the way my imac has been handled at this point. What else has been banged around on the inside that I can't see? My applecaare runs out in may and I'm worried that something else may be messed up and waiting to break since they obviously didn't handle it very cautiously.

HELP!!!!!!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Document everything, I know it doesn't help you right now, but take before and after pictures - just to be safe. As for right now, I'd ask for the manager, then explain everything to them, possibly asking politely for a new one.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Call AppleCare and explain the situation. They will likely have you ship it in, they will do the work, replace what is damaged, and return it, likely within a few days.

TEG

4. paisios thread starter macrumors member

I spoke with applecare today and they said to take it back in the the apple store I go to.

This has been a real nightmare. Thanks for the advice.

At this point I'm just flat out ticked off. I have to yet again, drive out to the apple store and then wait again for weeks while it is being repaired....

the applecare rep I spoke with said to speak with the store manager. Thnks for that advice, I guess it's a little late to take before pics. But sound advice for any new purchases made for sure.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why don't you inspect it there before taking it home?

6. paisios thread starter macrumors member

No reason other than they don't really seem to have time for that. They are always slammed at the store I go to.

Will definitely do that from now on.

Guess I trusted that apple would be thorough in their repairs and post repair inspection. This has been my first experience with it.

If I wanted this kind of service I would have bought a dell or a gateway for that matter. ha!