Failed TV Pilots

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nbs2, Mar 28, 2008.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Inspired by Lord Blackadder's mention of a US Red Dwarf pilot and my low hopes for the US Spaced remake, I was curious to know if people could think of other pilots that failed to be picked up for whatever reason.

If you have links to GooTube listings of the pilots, all the better.

There is one that I have always enjoyed - Heat Vision and Jack. With Owen Wilson, Jack Black, and Ben Stiller, it's kind of fun to see how bad a show could have graced our televisions.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Fox Force 5. Failed due to lame jokes, apparently... :D

3. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

You are aware that there is an invention called a Television and on this invention you watch shows on it yes?

:D

4. bartelby macrumors Core

I've just finished watching the film!

I had to after having bloody quotes going round my head all day! :D

5. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

It gets better and better each time I watch it. I can never get bored with it.

Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese?

What?

A Royale with Cheese

:D

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't think Cop Rock qualifies as a failed pilot. The series sold, even if it didn't last long.

The DVDs of the 1960s series The Time Tunnel include an hour-long pilot for a remake. It's actually pretty good, though it takes a few too many liberties with the original concept.

Same people did a pilot for a remake of Lost in Space, and that didn't sell either. Too bad, because I always thought that show started out great and then got royally screwed up. The movie wasn't much better. Someday, somewhere, somebody's going to do this idea right. (And no, Voyager wasn't it.)

7. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Isn't that amazing?

Another one I thought of: I'm not sure if it was simply a horrible movie or an actual TV pilot, but there was an awful Fantastic Four piece that was filmed by Marvel in the early-to-mid 90s that many folks swear is the worst thing committed to film ever.

I think it was a case of the production company needing to produce something with the characters or risk losing the screen rights entirely (which I reckon became the blockbuster Fantastic Four film of a few years back) and so cobbled together a bunch of B-movie actors and gave the project an appaulingly low budget with no intention of even trying to sell it (not telling the poor actors this, of course).

8. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

That was a free iTunes download for a while!

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

There was Heil Honey I'm Home – a comedy caper in which Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun set up home next door to a Jewish couple, with hilarious consequences.

I kid you not. You won't be surprised to learn that only the pilot was aired. Just the once.

10. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

How about a thread of otherwise hit shows that should have died at the pilot stage?

11. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

That already exists. It's called the ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC message boards!

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They must have seen The Producers one too many times. :)