Failed: Windows 7 w/ Boot Camp on Mac Mini running Mavericks

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by vastoholic, Oct 30, 2013.

1. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Problem: Created a DVD with an official Windows 7 Home Premium SP1x64 ISO image (yes I mounted the disc image and didn't just copy the file over). I'm trying to install it onto my 2011 Mac mini (running Mavericks) using an external (obviously) Blu-Ray/DVD burner, same one I created the DVD with. Partitioning went fine. Restarted my computer to select the boot drive. Two ISO options showed up. One simply labeled as "Windows" and the other labeled "Boot EFI". Tried both options and both of them just took me immediately to a black screen saying something to the effect of "No bootable device found- Insert boot disc and press any key". Reinserting the DVD nor unplugging and plugging the Blu-Ray drive in made a difference.

I have previously installed Windows 8 using the USB stick method and it worked (which later the partition become corrupted somehow so I lost it) but I lent out the USB stick to an old friend a while back and they have since gone far away and likely to never be seen again. Before I go an purchase another USB stick, is there any specific problem with what I'm doing that is causing the error? Is Win 7 even supported still in Boot Camp? Is the external drive causing the problem? Is it possible to install Windows 7 or 8 with what I'm currently using or do I just need to go get another USB stick.

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

If your Mac didn't originally come with a dvd drive it may not be able to install via dvd.

3. usuario macrumors newbie

Not true, Quacker, at least with 14th generation iMacs. I'm using a Samsung DVD Writer and installed Windows 8 with it. Not sure if Windows 7 would be any different, or whether Mac Mini has older firmware that doesn't support booting from external DVD drives.

4. vastoholic thread starter macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I ended up just buying a 16 GB flash drive last night after class since it was only $16. I had never tried installing with a burned disc image so I had no idea what to expect. It was kind of hard to search google for my specific situation.