failing hard drive signs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nunes013, Jan 13, 2011.

1. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

so lately programs in my computer have frozen a lot and i get the beach ball often in safari. i just had my logicboard replaced because of flickering by Apple so i know its probably not that. so could this be a failing hard drive?

EDIT: also programs like skype and itunes take forever to open sometimes and once and a while itunes wont open at all

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why not run a verify disk using disk utility? There are a number of reasons for your beach balls. I would also verify and repair permissions and start backing up.

3. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

i did that about a week and a half ago and everything was ok but ill try again. i backup once a week so thats not a problem :)

4. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

So i verified the disk and it says its corrupt and need i to start with the mac os x cd to repair the disk with disk utility. could this explain the beach balls? ill repair tomorrow because its late but ill post results then.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It could.... But the drive could also be physically failing. No certain way to tell...

6. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

well i was looking at the seagate momentus xt so this might be a good incentive to get it ;):D

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Yes that could also be good. I was going to get it, but I decided just to save ~$60 and go for a regular 500GB 7200RPM drive (it happened to be a Hitachi Travelstar 7k500).

8. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

nice, i was going to originally get WD scorpio but i looked at the XT also, it got ok reviews but had a lot problems but it looks like seagate ironed them out with the latest firmware. i really want to try booting the OS from the ssd in it. i would like a 256 gb ssd but i cant afford that because im getting ipad 2 when it comes out :)

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

If booting the OS from the 4GB SSD cache is worth $60 to you, then go ahead and buy it. It is not recommended to blow $60 just for speedy OS boots...

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Don't forget the momentus xt only has 4 GB of flash storage and still has to pull things up from the disk at traditional speeds before it's cached for quick access. An SSD is costlier but quicker all around.

11. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

maybe ill just do a 7200 rpm drive like scorpio because i guess if i want pure speed i would do ssd not just cached apps. but that will be my next computer lol

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

One thing about hard drives is that they frequently fail without warning (as shown by the hard drive study by Google). SMART is not as 'smart' as some people had imagined, so knowing when a HDD will fail is kind of like predicting the weather; to some degree you can, but not to a significant level of accuracy.

As far as replacement, the Cavier and Momentus are both great HDDs. If you are considering a SSD, I say get it. The speed is amazing and it has numerous advantages over the HDDs. I love mine and would gladly pay the price for again (oh wait, I already did get a second ;) ).

Google Labs' Test on Hard Disk Drives