Failing Hard Drive Warning, on new drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mpt-matthew, Oct 29, 2011.

1. mpt-matthew macrumors regular

I had this thing called smart-drive which monitored my HDD for imminent failure.
    It's safe to say it didn't work!
    My mid 2010 MBP HDD gave up on me on Tuesday :(
    The drive clicked and my mac wouldn't boot.

Took it to apple, got the drive replaced, and restored my system from my time machine backup.

After my first restart, cleaver old smart-drive (which i had forgotten about) popped up telling me my (new) hard drive was about to fail. And gave me lots of numbers which didn't help.

The code of the HDD it said was about to fail was the same code as the new one i could see in Disk Utility.
    I thought i was just the programme warning me about my old drive.
    Anyway, i downloaded Drive Alert from the appstore, and this immediately alerted me to imminent failure as well.

The new HDD seems to be working fine, it's quite, and spent 12 hours restoring my system last night without issue.
    Is this just a legacy from my old drive?

Thanks

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

It's definitely not from your old drive. SMART is physically in the chips on the drive itself.

Which attributes are failing?

3. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently everything!
    Most things are at 100, like spin-up time, relocated sectors count, spin retry count, power cycle count, end-to-end error, reported uncorrectable errors, command timeout, high fly writes G-sense error rate, power-off retract count, load cycle count, uncorrectable sector count, free fall protection. With the maximum been 100, and most thresholds 0.

Most of the raw values are 0, except:
    start stop count, which is 41
    seek error rate, 663,945 (with a threshold of 36)
    Power on hours, 42 (with a threshold of 0 :confused:)
    Power cycle count 48 (threshold 20)
    Temperature difference from 100 is 34.
    Power-off retract count is 9 (threshold of 0)
    Load cycle count 1,724 (threshold of 0)

This makes no sense to me.

4. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

I looked at all the raw SMART attributes, and then compared them to their meaning on wikipedia.
    All of them are normal for a new drive. I think it is a software glitch which is interpreting the raw attributes as something wrong.
    For example:

Relocated sector count (which is apparently one indicator of drive failure) has a current value of 100, a worst value of 100, a threshold value of 36, but a raw value of 0. So no sectors have been relocated, but it is reading a current value of 100. This could (but I'm not sure) be the cause of the alert.

5. Detrius macrumors 68000

That's correct. SMART values range from 0 to 255, and they get worse as they get lower. Raw values show the actual value. The software is reading the SMART table incorrectly.