Failing Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jrsx, Jan 20, 2014.

1. jrsx, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014

jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I have scanned my HDD with SMART Utility, and it shows that my drive is failing I think: the reading is below in pictures. What should I do about this? Should I just swap HDDs? I just got this a couple months ago, so this is kinda frustrating, but I figured it would happen sooner or later.

Attached Files:

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Get a consensus. Use Disk Utility to double check. You may also want to try SMARTReporter.

If more than one source says the drive it failing, back it up, get a new drive and then replace the drive. Clone the backup back to the new drive.

Coincidentally, your predicament has motivated me to check my own and I'm in the same boat. All these problems I've been having with this machine I blamed on the logicboard. Since I don't use it like I did the other the program that I normally have running in the background to check this wasn't.

So, thanks for giving me the idea to check!

3. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

SMART reporter said that my HD wasn't dying, it said it was fine and verified. I really would like to know if it is. What app for PPC is there that can scan my entire HDD disk physically, instead of just checking SMART status?

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have a hard drive that had SMART errors in 2009. It's still going strong in 2014. :eek:

Unless you have issues like eyoungren's iBook is having, I would just make scheduled backups and live with it until you start noticing something else going wrong.

5. jrsx, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

There is something that prompted me to check if it was failing - Aleph One. I was in their forums about their app with a problem and they eventually thought my problem with their app was my HDD. So, I decided to check it's SMART status. That's where this all led.

So is there an app to do a full surface scan of the hard drive?

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…there's TechTool Pro and DiskWarrior. DW is more of a repair app though, so in this instance TechTool Pro would probably be a better option.

7. Bear macrumors G3

I've had HDs where the "Smart" status was good right up until the drive failed totally. If I ever had a drive where the "Smart" status said the drive was bad, I'd be replacing it right away. As it is with my last drive failure, I stated hearing strange sounds from the drive and was wondering when the drive was going to fail. It failed the next day. Fortunately I keep backups.

8. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

So I ran the Apple Hardware Test (extended test) and it said my "Mass Storage" (I assume that's the hard drive) had passed. I used disk utility and it said, "The volume, "Macintosh HD appears to be O.K." Does this mean my drive is fine? I used a different program to check the smart status, and it said my drive was fine also. It's just the first program I used that says it's not. Is it just reading the status wrong? Also, my drive doesn't seem to be making any strange noises...