Failing HDD, Options?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ggoerl, Oct 3, 2013.

1. ggoerl macrumors regular

I have a failing HDD that was my system boot drive but I was fortunate enough for it not to fail yet so I was able to copy what I could to another drive and do a fresh os install on a pair of ssd's I bought recently. Question is, there is still some data on there that I was unable to copy over. I'm guessing bad sectors. Is there any way to retrieve that data? Could Disk Warrior do anything for me? Or if I tried a software copy based program like CCC?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Disk Warrior or similar might help, but CCC is unlikely to be able to copy data if you can't see it in Finder.

3. ggoerl thread starter macrumors regular

Well I had been booting off it, it shows in finder. It just doesn't like copying a certain set of files from a location off the disc so I'm guessing it's a bad sector. I'm in the process of CCC and it's working but it's going to take most of the day it seems but as long as it gets the job done. If not I will try Diskwarrior as my last resort.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I meant if you can't see the files you want to copy in Finder, not just the drive. I don't think CCC is going to be successful if you can't see the individual files themselves in Finder. CCC is just a GUI front end to a command line tool called rsync that is included with OS X. Good luck. :)

5. ggoerl thread starter macrumors regular

No, I can still see and access the files. I should've stated that at the beginning. The disk just locks up though during copying or it's rather slow to where it beach balls. As of right now I'm getting more progress with CCC than I would've with finder.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah.... gotcha. CCC may help then. Hope this works out for you.

7. ggoerl thread starter macrumors regular

CCC worked, it took over 5 hours but it was worth it. My data has been saved and now I can take a baseball bat to the drive.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is good news. Glad it worked out. :)

9. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

[[ Disk Warrior or similar might help, but CCC is unlikely to be able to copy data if you can't see it in Finder. ]]

Huh?

One needs CCC to clone a Mac drive is because there are _many_ files that one "cannot see in the finder". (That is, without first making invisible files visible)

Do you remember the days of System 4, 5, 6, etc.? Back then, all one needed to do in order to dupe a drive was copy it in the finder, then "bless" the System Folder. Back then, all files were visible. No more.

CCC also has the block copy option, worth trying.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Maybe read the thread before you spout off?

It sounded like OPs documents etc could not be seen in the Finder at all, thus my concern CCC would not be able to copy a file that could not be found any longer by Finder due to disk corruption. This has nothing whatsoever to do with hidden files.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

[[ Maybe read the thread before you spout off? ]]

I read the thread.

And it seems that in the end, the OP was able to successfully use CCC to get the job done that he was having problems with trying to get done in other ways.

And this was after you specifically advised him NOT to use CCC:
    "Disk Warrior or similar might help, but CCC is unlikely to be able to copy data if you can't see it in Finder."
    (your quote from reply #2 above...)

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Oh jesus... just stop. READ THE THREAD. OP did not originally make it clear he could still see the files in Finder and that is why I suggested CCC would not work. Once he clarified he COULD see the files I agreed CCC might work, and it did. So again, there is absolutely no point to your posts other than to try and nitpick.

You are the one off on a tangent about hidden files when none of this had anything to do with hidden files.