Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bicape

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
Connecticut
Hey guys,

So my MacBook Pro has been acting very funky the past few days. It started on Wednesday where it was functioning extremely slowly. Thinking it needed an update, I updated to 10.10.2, and its estimated time started at 12 minutes yet took almost 3 hours to complete.
Everything has been functioning slow. I reset PRAM and SMC with no luck and performed a SMART test of my HDD and it passed. I am considering reinstalling OS X but I think that will just take forever with no luck.
I am currently moving 300 MB of files from one folder to another on my HDD and its taking upwards of 15+ minutes.

Is is my HDD or RAM? Anyone know how to diagnose this?

Thanks

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hey guys,

So my MacBook Pro has been acting very funky the past few days. It started on Wednesday where it was functioning extremely slowly. Thinking it needed an update, I updated to 10.10.2, and its estimated time started at 12 minutes yet took almost 3 hours to complete.
Everything has been functioning slow. I reset PRAM and SMC with no luck and performed a SMART test of my HDD and it passed. I am considering reinstalling OS X but I think that will just take forever with no luck.
I am currently moving 300 MB of files from one folder to another on my HDD and its taking upwards of 15+ minutes.

Is is my HDD or RAM? Anyone know how to diagnose this?

Thanks

If it's RAM failure it wouldn't even boot (most of the time).

Your HDD is dying.

Take this opportunity to get an SSD.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Run the Disk Utility to see if it comes up with any errors.

As yjchua95 posted ram failure usually means no boot up, or a sudden crash. Hard drives can be a slower more painful death.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.