Failing re-installation of Leopard.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by guymurphy, Sep 14, 2008.

1. guymurphy macrumors newbie

I have tried everything I can find to help me on this site so I am forced to post anew. Forgive me if I have missed a thread.

I have a 3 year old iMac which froze completely on me. Start up gets as far as the grey screen and spinning gear, with loud whirring sound from the fan. Fortunately I have backed up on Time Machine so I have no issue with erasing data.

I am attempting to reinstall from the Leopard software (which had been installed for some time and worked fine). The software discs are also fine.

No strategy is working to get past that grey screen. I have tried restarting (with Leopard disc in place) whilst holding down the c-key, the alt-key, the command+alt+ p+r keys. No progress past that grey screen.

Is there another option to try before I assume I have a hardware issue? All wisdom gratefully received.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You really need to define what you mean by "reinstall from the Leopard software." Is this a retail Leopard DVD or is it a Software Restore disc from another computer? Also, what do you mean by "software discs" and why are they important to this discussion?

Finally, how do you know that your hard drive has not failed?

3. guymurphy thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for not being clearer. Many thanks for your support.

The 'Leopard software' is the retail Leopard DVD that I had originally installed. By 'software discs', I meant the Leopard DVDs, and I thought it was important to mention that these discs were not the problem. I don't know that the hard drive has not failed. How can I tell?

Many thanks again. Much appreciated.