Failure Cloning Macbook HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Grashnak, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Grashnak macrumors newbie

Howdy all,

I'm trying to help out a friend of mine who has a Macbook. I've done plenty of hardware work on PC's - swapping out HDs etc - and have also used Mac's a fair bit, so my friend asked for my help in upgrading his hard drive.

I did some research and hooked up a new drive in a docking station in order to clone his existing drive to the new larger one. I tried doing this using Superduper, and after that failed, using Disk Utility's restore function.

With Superduper, the process was going along fine with about 110 gigs cloned when it aborted due to an i/o error that it linked to a jpg file in my friend's photos folder. I looked at and opened the photo and can't seem to see anything wrong with it.

The Disk Utility program also failed at approximately the same % of files transferred but unfortunately didn't seem to tell you why. I'm guessing it's probably the same file.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to avoid this? Both times the process cacked out after about 2.5 hours of copying (damn you USB 2.0 and people who don't make docking stations with firewire!). I may have to kill myself if it fails again after that long :).

Any help is appreciated!

John

2. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a