Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Otago Lad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Although the update adds some nice features there is one issue that people have been crying out for to be fixed which has again been overlooked. That issue? How multiple seasons of TV Shows are displayed under "Computers" on the aTV.

How long will it take before the hierarchy is changed to:

Apple TV
>Computers
>>"Your iTunes Library"
>>>TV Shows
>>>>"TV Programme" e.g. Big Bang Theory
>>>>>Season 1
>>>>>>Episode 1

This hierarchy is how iTunes on your PC/Mac works and also on my iPad when I connect through the Video app to my desktop iTunes (this was fixed recently as it was previously broken like on the aTV).

When you have a large collection of TV shows, like I and many others have (e.g. Top Gear has 20 seasons), the list of shows can take ages to scroll through.

Anyway, I was hoping against hope that, like with the iPad, this issue would have been resolved but again my hopes have been dashed. Does anyone hold out any hope now of this being fixed given this latest update would have been the most obvious time after the Desktop iTunes and iPad "Seasons" had been resolved?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Gen 1 of :apple:TV worked just like that. Both TV Shows and Movies respected tags like "Show". For example, instead of 8 Harry Potter movies in the main list, you could have one line for Harry Potter and then click into that to access the 8 movies. Star Wars, Star Trek, Rocky, and on and on.

TV Shows too could hold all episodes of the show in one line. Click into that for seasons, click into seasons for individual shows.

Gen 1 also put our own movies under "movies" not "computers"... our own tv shows under "TV shows" not "computers", etc. IMO, THAT was the much better way to do it.

Gen 1. 2007. 6 years later and we're still hoping for a feature(s) they had way back then. I wish the little box could finally rise out of "hobby" status.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
It is a few extra clicks, but I use a playlist folder (for the show) with a smart playlist inside ( for each season). This setup works well for us.

I do the same for grouping movies the way I like.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91

Otago Lad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
It is a few extra clicks, but I use a playlist folder (for the show) with a smart playlist inside ( for each season). This setup works well for us.

I do the same for grouping movies the way I like.

Hi Buick,

I've done that with some of my shows (e.g. Top Gear and SG-1), however its the fact that they fixed the same issue in (1) iTunes and (2) when you access your iTunes library through homesharing in the Video App on iPad, and yet haven't fixed it in the one device/piece of software that could most use it.

It's like the developer who was charged with fixing the issue got the first two done and then went to lunch and when he got back he was put onto something more important and said to himself I'll get the aTV seasons issue fixed when I have time and has never got around to it - sounds like most guys with DIY/renovations :p .

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Hi Buick,

I've done that with some of my shows (e.g. Top Gear and SG-1), however its the fact that they fixed the same issue in (1) iTunes and (2) when you access your iTunes library through homesharing in the Video App on iPad, and yet haven't fixed it in the one device/piece of software that could most use it.

It's like the developer who was charged with fixing the issue got the first two done and then went to lunch and when he got back he was put onto something more important and said to himself I'll get the aTV seasons issue fixed when I have time and has never got around to it - sounds like most guys with DIY/renovations :p .

Yes I agree they should fix it.

Otago Lad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
I'm still waiting for this too. I go to the feedback page every other month and ask them to do it. Still no luck.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Same with me, but clearly it makes little to no difference and that's why I posted here as I hoped a ground swell of support for this might prompt Apple (assuming anyone from Apple ever looks at these forums).

I'm surprised this isn't a bigger issue for people, or are we the only ones who use their aTV's to watch TV shows?

Otago Lad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
More so for movies in my opinion. I would love to be able to put a movie and it's DVD special features into one grouping under the movie title. Open it up, see the main movie and all the extras.

Absolutely agree as I've ripped the extras off quite a few of my DVD's/BR's so end up with having to use Sort and, for example, call them "Iron Man 3a" for the main movie and then "Iron Man 3b" to "Iron Man 3f" for the extras so that I see the movie first in the list with the extras following on.

I've just focused on TV Shows for my "rant" as this is where it is most obvious and problematic e.g. Top Gear with 20 seasons is a lot to scroll through to get to the next Show.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.