Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
I have a cd2 imac. Lately i will try to open an application, from the finder or the doc, and it may get a bounce... and then nothing. THe only thing that seems to fix it is rebooting (I hate rebooting). Actually have not tried anything else, because I don't know what else to try. I've never had that problem on my 2 PPC machines...Thanks for any suggestions

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Have you tried to repair permissions? You should also consider repairing your disk. Both are functions of the Disk Utility. (Repair disk requires you to reboot machine using your installation DVD)

Is it the same apps crashing, or it random?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Another common cause of this sort of problem is corrupt cache or preferences files. These can be found in (your hard drive)/Users/(your user folder)/Library/Caches and (your hard drive)/Users/(your user folder)/Library/Preferences, respectively. Replace the things in parentheses with their names on your system.

If you can narrow the cause down to a particular application, try deleting or moving its preferences and cache files. If more than one application is misbehaving, try the preferences and cache method first. If that doesn't work, the cause might be in some common file both applications share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.