Failure to Restore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairbeckwith, Aug 5, 2008.

1. blairbeckwith macrumors regular

I am trying to restore my 8 gb black iPhone 3g, but to no avail.

iTunes is not recognizing it when it is in the restore mode (the one with the iTunes logo and USB cable). I attempted to put it in to DFU mode to restore it, which I beleive I did. Then, iTunes gave me the "Waiting for iPod" message, which then, afterwards gave me this message:

"An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod, then try again. An unknown error occured (1601)."

I have tried reinstalling iTunes and uninstalling Apple Mobile Device Support. Does anyone have any other ideas, or should I try and get an exchange?

I desperately need your help.

2. blairbeckwith thread starter macrumors regular

Please help. Willing to send $5 USD via paypal to whoever can fix this.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

try turning your phone on and off...i dont just mean the SLIDE to UNLOCk screen, i mean holding the SLEEP button for about 10 secs and then SLIDE the red slider to turn all the way off....wait like 10 mins, and then turn on..

4. blairbeckwith thread starter macrumors regular

No, see, my Phone is messed up. It doesn't turn on.

5. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

You didn't put it in airplane mode before you tried restoring, did you?

I had a similar issue, because I put it in airplane mode. Eventually I got it to the emergency calling screen, where I was able to punch in a number, prompting me to take it out of airplane mode. After that, and restarting it, it restored fine.