Failure to start OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SolidSnake90, Nov 12, 2009.

1. SolidSnake90 macrumors newbie

SolidSnake90

I was doing software update today when all of a sudden my computer seemed to be overloading from the apps I was running prior...After 10 minutes of "Circle of Death" I performed a emergency shut down. (Probably not the best idea) Afterwards I restarted and was stuck on the main loading screen, (Apple with grey swirling circle) I left this for about 20 minutes came back to check on it and nothing had happened, several restarts with no new conclusion.I popped in the startup disk and ran a diagnostic on it with everything coming back fine...What the heck do I do now? I need my information.....:eek:

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Had Software Update finished the download/finished the install when you did the hard shutdown?

3. SolidSnake90 thread starter macrumors newbie

SolidSnake90

Yes, it asked me at that point to Shut down or Restart, but I couldn't operate anything but my mouse.....

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Many times after an OS update it will take a quite a while to boot. I would disconnect any peripherals that you may have attached (excluding the keyboard and mouse) and try letting it boot. It just may take a while.

5. SolidSnake90 thread starter macrumors newbie

SolidSnake90

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Since it had a hard shutdown, maybe 20 minutes or more, it wouldn't hurt to try.

Or you could try this :apple: Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

The only other option I can think of, if those dont work is to do an "Archive & Install" (OS X 10.5 and earlier) or a reinstall (OS X 10.6) from the original disc.