faint black lines on MBP screen (pics included)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tman08, Mar 12, 2008.

1. tman08 macrumors member

Sometimes my MBP gets these faint black lines that seem to start at the bottom on the screen and fade away as the near the top of the screen. I took a picture. Anyone know what causes these?

Attached Files:

2. 36183 Guest

I have no idea what is causing them, but your screen is clearly faulty take it to apple an geit fixed

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually, what you have is backlight bleed, not black streaks (you have too much light on the ligher areas). Your screen needs to be replaced. If you are still under Warranty or AppleCare, get thee to an Apple Store, Apple Authorized Repair Center, or call AppleCare to get that taken care of.

TEG

4. tman08 thread starter macrumors member

That makes sense. It doesn't do it all the time though. Sometimes it goes away by itself after sleep. For instance, the lines are gone right now. Should I still take my screen to the Apple Store to get it replaced? And will they even replace it if the lines aren't always there. I'm not sure I could even show them the problem, b/c I don't know how to make the lines show up.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

There is some sort of short in the light. It may come back when you screw with the screen. Definately take it to the Apple Store, they will take care of it.

TEG

6. Inakto macrumors regular

Just show them the pictures if it does't happen at the store

7. shkip macrumors newbie

I have exact same problem. Just wandering how your situation turned out and what it actually was? Ive only had this mbp for a week now and thinking about taking it back and getting a new one DOA if its a big enough issue.

[​IMG]

8. tman08 thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I never did anything about it. If the lines were constantly there then I would of taken it in a long time ago. I know that I have a faulty product here and I'm guessing that these lines are going to become permanent soon. I have Apple Care so I will just take it in when that does happen. Has anyone with this problem taken theirs in? If so, what happened?

9. asmallchild macrumors regular

Also interested in hearing this reply.

I have the same problem but on a much smaller scale. (As in, I'm not quite sure if I'm seeing it because I want to see it or it's really there)

I have the 3 yr AppleCare warranty but I wanted to see if the problem progresses or if it will remain small.

With the dock on and a wallpaper present, it's impossible to tell. With the dock hidden and the wallpaper turned to white, I can faintly make out slight yellowing and slight black lines like the OP noted. I tried bringing up a Google screen like shkip and again, I can maybe faintly make out black streaks. Certainly not as bad as shkip's problem. The question is, does it worsen? Should I run and get this fixed?

10. lazydesi macrumors 6502

mines is 6 days old machine and I got the same problem to

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Dear Lisa macrumors newbie

Success!!

Hey- I had a similar problem and this fixed it.

1. Power down the macbook pro

2. Unplug and take out the battery

3. While the battery is out, hold the power button down for 15 seconds.

4. Put the battery back in.

5. Hold down the COMMAND, OPTION, R, and T keys down and press power. (this took a minute to figure out how to press all these keys at once! haha!) Keep holding down the COMMAND, OPTION, R, AND T down until you see the log-in screen.

6. Press CONTROL, SHIFT, and EJECT- one after the other and hold each one down while pressing the next. Once all three are being pressed at once- just let go of them all.
    -This is make the screen turn black. It resets the screen and puts the computer to sleep.

7. Move the mouse to wake up the computer and log-in.

That should do it!!! I hope it helps!!:D

12. thoures macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks Dear Lisa. It solved it for me.