Faint burning smell from 2 month old MB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eoren1, Jan 14, 2008.

1. eoren1 macrumors 6502

I bought a SR Macbook (white) on black friday. All has been well (especially after that keyboard fix finally came out!). 3 days ago, while working on it at work on a desk, I detected a very faint burning smell. I picked it up and smelled the keyboard, vents and ports and could not find the source. Happened again the next day while at home. I checked temps in iStat and they were running 40-50C. The laptop was plugged into the AC adaptor at work and unplugged at home. I was near an Apple store yesterday but the Genius bar was packed. Asked a store employee about the situation and he recommended calling Applecare. Anyone experience this? I found information about the burning smell in the first few days but two months later seems abnormal.
    Appreciate any thoughts.
    E

2. oseary macrumors member

A burning smell in any time is highly abnormal. Call AppleCare or go back to the 'bar immediately (in my opinion), something more serious could occur when you're not around. :eek:

3. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Honestly go see the Apple Store because a burning smell is NOT normal. Don't waste your time calling AppleCare, they will only refer you back to the Apple Store closest to you.

When my G5 died I called them and the only thing they did was to ask me where the closest Apple Store was (hour and a half away) and take it there. I get there and (unknowingly) had to have an appointment for the Bar. Thank goodness the manager let me go ahead and be seen that day.

Main point - go to Apple.com and find the closest Apple Store near you and set up an appointment. Make sure you take the receipt with you and something to preoccupy your time in case of a wait.

~Crawn

4. nancysmacbook macrumors newbie

my mac is burning up too

I messed up my mac by overdoing the cpu; used hp scanner (100%cpu) and tried to burn a dvd at the same time; dvd got spit out and burning smell came. Still smells faintly. Advice: monitor your activity level, keep cpu under 100%

5. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

ROFL.

If you can "break" a computer just by pegging the CPU at 100%, then you've got other problems with your machine, and it should be taken in for repair. Apple computers are not something you should be able to "overdo", unless you were over clocking the CPU- which will void your warranty.

Please think twice before posting such a ridiculous piece of advice in the future, kthx bai.

-SC