Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
On my XR’s screen, there’s a really rainy darkening at the bottom that’s noticeable on white backgrounds, it starts about halfway between the home bar and the bottom edge of the screen. Is this a feature of the technology limitations involved in getting the LCD without a bottom chin..?

I don’t think it’s enough to make me exchange but I might check out some display models later today to see if they have the same...

Reactions: alxz1194

Hrti

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2013
Can see this very faint line on my XR that I received yesterday. It’s more obvious when tilting the phone. Also the display has a very very slight pinkish tint on the right side, only visible on white and light gray backgrounds. But overall I’m really happy with the display! It’s much more color accurate and uniform than other iPhones I’ve had. For what it’s worth I’ve seen this faint dark line on display models as well.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Yeah I have the same. It’s very faint not bad enough to exchange it. I think it’s juat something to do with the backlight being in the bezel. I’m pretty certain my 8plus has something similar st the bottom.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
The white screen to black edge transition on my XR is clean. If I stare... really stare I can possibly see what looks like a very mild shadow at the edge but I can’t tell if it’s just my eyes handling the transition from bright/white to dark.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Yeah I have the same. It’s very faint not bad enough to exchange it. I think it’s juat something to do with the backlight being in the bezel. I’m pretty certain my 8plus has something similar st the bottom.
Agree.

zx128k

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2018
If I look on a grey/black screen it does get a bit of a light shadow round edges. I assume this is slight lcd backlight light bleed.

Last edited:

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
The white screen to black edge transition on my XR is clean. If I stare... really stare I can possibly see what looks like a very mild shadow at the edge but I can’t tell if it’s just my eyes handling the transition from bright/white to dark.

Yeah pretty much how mine is tbh. I think from this thread it’s pretty normal, will still check out the display models later today. Thanks all!

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
Ok so I looked in the apple store and every single XR I looked at has this same faint shadow. Case closed, no exchange required!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.