Faint lines down screen AW4

ijon01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Ok so thought I’d treat myself to the series 4 44mm, 10 minutes later I see faint lines down the screen on a grey background, maps etc...

I google it and see that it seems to be a common thing on the S4?

Is it or do I need to do the exchange game again? I read that one guy exchanged 4 times and still has it?

Any advice would he appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Ok so thought I’d treat myself to the series 4 44mm, 10 minutes later I see faint lines down the screen on a grey background, maps etc...

I google it and see that it seems to be a common thing on the S4?

Is it or do I need to do the exchange game again? I read that one guy exchanged 4 times and still has it?

Any advice would he appreciated

Thanks
It’s called ‘vertical banding’, and it can be common in the Series 4. Some displays will exhibit that behavior more than others, you can try exchanging the watch, but I do believe almost all of the Series 4 Apple Watches exhibit this type of behavior in some form or fashion.

ijon01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Thanks for the reply, It really annoyed me so I took it back for a refund, a bit disappointed with the display quality compared to my s0 which is superb.

Decided against an exchange as the replacement may of had the same issue.

Considering the series 3, are there any known screen issues with it?

Thanks

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks for the reply, It really annoyed me so I took it back for a refund, a bit disappointed with the display quality compared to my s0 which is superb.

Decided against an exchange as the replacement may of had the same issue.

Considering the series 3, are there any known screen issues with it?

Thanks
The Series 3 displays were near perfect and never really experienced vertical banding. It’s mainly the Series 4 that has exhibited that type of issue, which there was quite an extensive thread history on the Series 4 displays with the banding, varying with some members having extreme issues to minor with the banding.

nikkisharif

macrumors member
May 22, 2019
It’s called ‘vertical banding’, and it can be common in the Series 4. Some displays will exhibit that behavior more than others, you can try exchanging the watch, but I do believe almost all of the Series 4 Apple Watches exhibit this type of behavior in some form or fashion.
This is a false statement. Any tech can have issues, just exchange it for a device without defects. I don’t have any display issues on my S4...Be it lines, light bleed, uneven lighting or anything else. My aluminum 40mm S4 before this one (44mm SSG) didn’t have issues either.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
This is a false statement. Any tech can have issues, just exchange it for a device without defects.
There is nothing false at all in my statement. No one here is contesting ‘any tech can’t have issues’ I suggested the OP _could_ exchange it, but the vertical banding is very much a real issue on the Series 4 Apple Watch, rather it be extremely faint or extreme on the display, it exists in some form or fashion based on OLED tendencies [It can also develop/worsen over the course of time as the display ages], it is only usually visible depending on the color (Black/gray) of the background on the display to actually notice the lines. Also, exchanging it doesn’t necessarily fix the issue, because the next Apple Watch could still have that issue to some degree , which is why some don’t want to play the ‘exchange game’ as the OP indicated.

Reference:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/vertical-line-on-apple-watch-series-4.2146521/

I don’t have any display issues on my S4...Be it lines, light bleed
This is incorrect. There’s no such thing as light bleed with OLED (Each pixel is independent of each other for lighting), light Bleed exists/is common with LCD/LED panels.

Last edited:

nikkisharif

macrumors member
May 22, 2019
There is nothing false at all in my statement. No one here is contesting ‘any tech can’t have issues’ I suggested the OP _could_ exchange it, but the vertical banding is very much a real issue on the Series 4 Apple Watch, rather it be extremely faint or extreme on the display, it exists in some form or fashion based on OLED tendencies [It can also develop/worsen over the course of time as the display ages], it is only usually visible depending on the color (Black/gray) of the background on the display to actually notice the lines. Also, exchanging it doesn’t necessarily fix the issue, because the next Apple Watch could still have that issue to some degree , which is why some don’t want to play the ‘exchange game’ as the OP indicated.

Reference:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/vertical-line-on-apple-watch-series-4.2146521/

This is incorrect. There’s no such thing as light bleed with OLED (Each pixel is independent of each other for lighting), light Bleed exists/is common with LCD/LED panels.
I work in tech & understand what you’re saying. What was false in your statement was you saying “almost all series 4s experience this”. There’s nothing to substantiate this information.

I was just throwing out examples of display issues that are nonexistent on my devices. Get a grip! People are allowed to disagree & point out the fact that no one here has the ability to verify if “almost all” S4s have display issues. So glad I was lucky enough to get 2 of the only S4s without issues¡

Reactions: Trin813

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I work in tech & understand what you’re saying. What was false in your statement was you saying “almost all series 4s experience this”. There’s nothing to substantiate this information.
I generally think you’re being overly pedantic here. There’s nothing false in what I said, I never claimed every Series 4 Apple Watch experiences vertical banding, but almost all of them to a degree do experience it either faintly or extremely over the course of time or where it’s immediately apparent based on the color background scheme. (There's also plenty of empirical data discussing this through searches) It’s not uncommon, the caveat being, that some notice the banding and others don’t, it depends how much you pay attention to detail or how severe the case is.

Also, You ‘working in tech’ is a rather generalized statement and doesn’t contribute anything of nature with your experience with the Apple Watch display or disprove my experience(s) either. Respectfully, also, if you ‘work in tech’, your knowledge/experience is lacking with the Apple Watch in general, being then you didn’t even understand OLED doesn’t rely on backlighting like LCD does. I’m not trying to single you out, but that’s kinda common knowledge if you were ‘tech experienced.’ Just sayin.

Last edited:

nikkisharif

macrumors member
May 22, 2019
I generally think you’re being overly pedantic here. There’s nothing false in what I said, I never claimed every Series 4 Apple Watch experiences vertical banding, but almost all of them to a degree do experience it either faintly or extremely over the course of time or where it’s immediately apparent based on the color background scheme. (There's also plenty of empirical data discussing this through searches) It’s not uncommon, the caveat being, that some notice the banding and others don’t, it depends how much you pay attention to detail or how severe the case is.

Also, You ‘working in tech’ is a rather generalized statement and doesn’t contribute anything of nature with your experience with the Apple Watch display or disprove my experience(s) either. Respectfully, also, if you ‘work in tech’, your knowledge/experience is lacking with the Apple Watch in general, being then you didn’t even understand OLED doesn’t rely on backlighting like LCD does. I’m not trying to single you out, but that’s kinda common knowledge if you were ‘tech experienced.’ Just sayin.
Never said it wasn’t common. I said saying almost all is false. And me stating all of the extra display issues was an exaggerated stance on your “facts”. Yet you’re still bringing up how knowledgeable I am in something, as if you have facts LOL

This is not a pissing contest! I simply stated my career field because you felt the need to try and school me when it wasn’t called for. You could have simply asked what falsehood I was speaking to, but you didn’t. Responses like that are usually due to the fact that I’m a woman.

Anyhow...Have a beautiful day! See you around the forums

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Trin813

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Never said it wasn’t common. I said saying almost all is false. And me stating all of the extra display issues was an exaggerated stance on your “facts”.
<Snipped the semantics>

On topic:

You haven’t replied with anything of substance disproving what I said, nor contributing other than ‘I’m wrong’, and I even provided a link to you showing you that vertical banding is a problem with the Series 4 Apple Watch, rather it be widespread or subtle, depends on the user if they notice it, and as I already mentioned, the severity of the banding is variable. It does exist, but to a lesser degree on _almost_ every Apple Watch. I could make the opposing argument that your watch does have vertical banding, but you don’t know how to look for it pending the color schematic, because you’re not that ‘tech oriented’.

Thanks for the discussion.

nikkisharif

macrumors member
May 22, 2019
<Snipped the semantics>

On topic:

You haven’t replied with anything of substance disproving what I said, nor contributing other than ‘I’m wrong’, and I even provided a link to you showing you that vertical banding is a problem with the Series 4 Apple Watch, rather it be widespread or subtle, depends on the user if they notice it, and as I already mentioned, the severity of the banding is variable. It does exist, but to a lesser degree on _almost_ every Apple Watch. I could make the opposing argument that your watch does have vertical banding, but you don’t know how to look for it pending the color schematic, because you’re not that ‘tech oriented’.

Thanks for the discussion.
Hopefully I made your day

Reactions: Newtons Apple

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Rye/London, UK
I returned my Series 4 and bought a Series 3 because of the poor screen. I'm hoping the Series 5 screens are improved, otherwise I'll stick with my 3 for another year.

ijon01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
hi, I did the same and it had weird dotted lines in the screen like the one in the photo attached, returned that and I’m back to my ancient s0 which has a flawless screen but runs like a snail compared to the 3 and 4
Just want an Apple Watch with a screen as good as my s0 :-(

Attachments