Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kha

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
great.. in addition to the weird array of column i had a while back.. now ive seem to notice a faint red bar about 3 inches long and 10 pixels high on the center left of my screen.. wtf is that.

screen model : 00009C81

has anyone see this before?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
should i call them to replace?

Perhaps you should make sure the faint red line isn't an actual glitch on the image first.. is it more visible if the background was light?

Apple will only replace the machine if it's within the first 2 weeks of purchase, provided you've purchased it from the AppleStore (other stores have different rules). After that, it'll goto warranty repairs, the store can choose to either give you a replacement or repair the machine - usually they'll swap something out, if it's a hardware issue.

kha

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Perhaps you should make sure the faint red line isn't an actual glitch on the image first.. is it more visible if the background was light?

Apple will only replace the machine if it's within the first 2 weeks of purchase, provided you've purchased it from the AppleStore (other stores have different rules). After that, it'll goto warranty repairs, the store can choose to either give you a replacement or repair the machine - usually they'll swap something out, if it's a hardware issue.

:( .... this is the new 2.5 penryn i got in mid march. i ordered it online customed with 7200 hd and 512 gfx.

kha

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
ack what do you guys think? should i return it? i fear if i do - i'll receive another mbp with worst problems. or should i jut keep it.. you cant really notice it, but i fear its something that could get worse?

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I think you should show an image with a solid white background and one with a solid black background. It's impossible from your picture to tell if it's a machine problem or something in your desktop picture.

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
ack what do you guys think? should i return it? i fear if i do - i'll receive another mbp with worst problems. or should i jut keep it.. you cant really notice it, but i fear its something that could get worse?

Well you're past the 2 week exchange date and if this is the only problem I'd say hang on to it. if its a hardware problem it will get worse and probably require a repair within the next year during your warranty so why not just wait it out and use it for now?

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Bring into Apple. My father had a red bar, not faint, going from the top to the bottom of the screen. Brought it in, I hope you have warranty because its going to cost a lot otherwise.

kha

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Well you're past the 2 week exchange date and if this is the only problem I'd say hang on to it. if its a hardware problem it will get worse and probably require a repair within the next year during your warranty so why not just wait it out and use it for now?

well i called apple just a few minutes ago, the guy there made me do video resets and still, the problem is there - so it seems to be a hardware issue. and i rather fix it now before it gets worse and im off applecare.

:( anyhow, they are picking it up and going to put new video components in it probably. this is the new penryn 2.5 macbook pro - so i still have apple care.

Bring into Apple. My father had a red bar, not faint, going from the top to the bottom of the screen. Brought it in, I hope you have warranty because its going to cost a lot otherwise.

yeah brand new.

kha

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
I think you should show an image with a solid white background and one with a solid black background. It's impossible from your picture to tell if it's a machine problem or something in your desktop picture.

white bg you cant make it out. only on darker bg's. same spot always.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
white bg you cant make it out. only on darker bg's.

I have the same let me take a few pictures, brb...

pictures: (really hard to see, it's much more blatant in person)

p1000188aa8a4.JPG

p100018989a07.JPG

edit: it's only while the screen is black, actually you really can't see it in the picture, but it's deffinetly obvious, should I go to the apple store, I won't be near one again for a while (I'm on vacation)

kha

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
I have the same let me take a few pictures, brb...

pictures: (really hard to see, it's much more blatant in person)

p1000188aa8a4.JPG

p100018989a07.JPG

edit: it's only while the screen is black, actually you really can't see it in the picture, but it's deffinetly obvious, should I go to the apple store, I won't be near one again for a while (I'm on vacation)

applecare guy said it seems to be hardware issue.. so im definately sending it out.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Hard to see anything from the pictures, but if you can see it on a plain background then there's a hardware problem. I'd make sure you include a written description of the problem along with the screen shot with the computer so you don't get some underpaid tech shipping it back to you saying they couldn't duplicate the problem.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
so I'm taking it today, so should I make a new user account for the store?

i'm worried I'm going to get in there and they'll just blow me off basically. It doesn't really bug me, I just don't want it to lead to future hardware issues when it's out of warranty.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
so I'm taking it today, so should I make a new user account for the store?

i'm worried I'm going to get in there and they'll just blow me off basically. It doesn't really bug me, I just don't want it to lead to future hardware issues when it's out of warranty.

If it makes you feel better. It might need to have administrative privelges though so make sure to add that.

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006

Well, he still has the warantee going, but even without the warranty, massive repairs can still be pretty cheap. My old MBP had a problem with its display, it would flicker when it was moved and i was out of warranty.

The Apple genius told me that they could send the computers out for repairs for a flat rate of $310. When it came back and they read off the things that were replaced i was shocked. They replaced the screen, the superdrive, the logic board and the bottom case (which had some dings in it). All that cost me $330 with tax...

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
sounds like you have a faulty video chip/logic-board.

oh comon you have to do a lot more troubleshooting than assuming right off the bat its a logic board issue. In fact, its the last resort short of replacing the entire computer.

But to the OP you should bring it in. Something like that should not be ignored.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
even thought this happened a while ago I thought I'd report back, I went to the apple store and the guy said it was the screen from the laptop being pushed down with constant pressure between the lcd and the little aluminum edge at the edge of the keyboard. So I'm getting an lcd replacement this summer.

PS: I better not get the yellow screen thing now...

kha

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
soooo i get my laptop back.. they replaced the entire screen - said itwas a defect. anyhow, happy with new screen but wait.... the screen is loose and not closing straight.. great.. sent it off again and now waiting for it to come back :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.