Fair Deal? - MBP trade for Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by quicksilver77, Jan 25, 2011.

1. quicksilver77 macrumors 6502

quicksilver77

I have a chance to trade my pre-unibody MBP with a bad battery. It is in good shape cosmetically with no marks.
    15inch
    Core Duo 2.0
    2gb
    250gb HD
    ATI X1600

For a Mac Mini

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/stats/mac-mini-core-2-duo-1.83-specs.html

and a 1TB Iomega Drive (that I dont really need since I have a NAS)
    (link is to the 2TB drive but looks exactly the same)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H0815VC/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

The only thing this would be used for is as a Plex client to my plasma. I have troubles getting the MBP to wake from sleep and I feel that running it all the time with the lid closed is just going to cause more trouble. I already own an iMac and Unibody MBP.

Any thoughts on this deal?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I really don't think it's a good deal. The only thing wrong with it is a bad battery, and everything else about the MBP is superior to the mini. I would try to sell it and buy a bit nicer of a mini, as you would be getting ripped off with that trade.

3. quicksilver77 thread starter macrumors 6502

quicksilver77

Thanks for the reply. I looked around and I guess my MBP would be worth around $630 if it had a good battery according to the mac website that evaluates used mac's. Not sure what i could get for this one. Maybe $550.

4. Danekero macrumors member

It isn't just about resale value, either. With the mini you'll end up with a generally slower computer without any portability. Stick with what you have and just get a new battery.

5. quicksilver77 thread starter macrumors 6502

quicksilver77

Thanks for the replies. The thing is I am only using the MBP as a Plex front end. i already have a 3 month old MBP that i Use for everyday computing.

One thing that worries me about that mini is whether it could play 1080p BD rips with only a 64mb video card. Any thoughts?

Is a Mini really a better front end client for Plex than what I have? I mean for lower power...lowe footprint and better power (wake on lan) stuff? 95% of my media is 720p MKV rips of my movies. Just want to be able to play 1080p is I move to a 1080p TV soon