Price Advice Fair price 13" MacBook 2008?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Wasabisjors, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Wasabisjors, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011

Wasabisjors macrumors member

Wasabisjors

Hi guys,

I'd like to put my white 13" MacBook, model summer 2008, on sale. It's the basic model, I've only recently put in a new battery.
    It's got some very light 'use marks', but all in all it's in a great state.
    It also comes with a pouch, mouse and Snow Leopard.

What do you guys reckon it is still worth, when I put it up for sale here in The Netherlands (price in Euros please).

Thanks

2. darknite38 macrumors regular

I'd say 4 to 5 hundred. Check on craigslist for the same models and compare.

3. Wasabisjors thread starter macrumors member

Wasabisjors

4 - 5 hundred Euros you think? That wouldn't be too bad. Craigslist, didn't know that one, I'll check it out. Thx

4. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I think he meant dollars!

5. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

I'd say ask for 500 euros, settle for 400 minimum.

6. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Try this site to get an estimated value. I just stumbled across the site, so no idea how accurate the estimates are. For used goods, local markets can vary widely, so you will get a better feel by checking local sites or local ads.

7. Wasabisjors thread starter macrumors member

Wasabisjors

@Pancho Thanks for that link. I'll see what it tells me!

Would you guys try selling something like this on EBay?

8. duncanapple macrumors 6502

We just sold my wife's 2.2 ghz white macbook (2gb ram, 120 gb HD) for $650 us dollars here locally on craigslist. I would avoid ebay - the ebay fees and paypal fees eat you alive (you even pay fees on the shipping you charge), and then you have to deal with the heavily buyer favored ebay resolution channels should something go wrong. Read some of the horror stories around here. You may be able to sell for a tad more $ on ebay given the large market reach and bidding nature, but the fees eat into all of that advantage and then some. I was able to price my laptop a bit lower on craigslist but still net more $ due to fee avoidance. Plus I dealt in person (safe public spot) and in cash.

I don't know how ebay gets away with the fees they do. Most (not all) of the stuff on there seems to be grey market goods and junk. Ymmv

9. gmans46 macrumors regular

i would post it on craigslist MacBooks just aren't selling for what they used too because the mbps are "cooler" so $500 would seem fair anything more is just gravy

10. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

$400, tops, at most. So outdated and parts will be hard to find.