Price Advice Fair Price - Damaged 2009 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by obadub, Aug 22, 2012.

1. obadub macrumors newbie

I was just wondering if anybody might know what the fair price would be for a damaged 2009 Macbook Pro. My computer's internet has been acting up for the past couple of months and, after having Apple look at it, I found out that it was going to cost anywhere from $600 to $1200 to fix. I'd like to have wireless back and figure if I'm going to spend that much, I might as well put the money towards a new or refurbished 13 inch MBP and sell the 15 inch one.

Anyways, I've been the computer's only owner since I get it new towards the end of 2009. It's unfortunately taken a couple of tumbles during the last couple years but it never had any problems until a couple of months ago, when the MBP suddenly stopped detecting the airport card and wireless internet. Apple's Genius Bar pronounced it dead soon after. A surprise victim of the trip was my battery, which Apple says is failing.

Other than the dead airport and sketchy battery, the computer is actually in alright shape. It's got some scuffs/scratches on the outer cover and a dent on the back, but it really is still a good notebook as long as you don't mind keeping close to a modem while you work. The specs are below though - does anybody have any idea of what a fair price would be for it? If I filled everything out right, GadgetValue.com gave a quote from $450-475, while Mac2Sell's was $520. I just wanted to check to be sure about price before I try to sell it.

Thanks!

Late 2009 Macbook Pro – 15 Inch Glossy Display
    Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Macintosh HD Capacity: 500 GB
    Graphics Card: 256 MB (GeForce 9400M) DDR3
    Software: Mac OS X 10.6 bundled with iLife ’09 (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, and Garage Band)​

Battery Information: (according to System Profiler)
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 1723
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 4257​
    Battery Health Information:
    Cycle count: 737
    Condition: Check Battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -578
    Voltage (mV): 11529​

Airport: (also according to System Profiler)
    Type: AirPort
    Hardware: AirPort
    BSD Device Name: en1
    IPv4:
    Configuration Method: DHCP​
    IPv6:
    Configuration Method: Automatic​
    Proxies:
    Exceptions List: *.local, 169.254/16
    FTP Passive Mode: Yes​
    Service Order: 3​

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm slightly surprised the depot repair option was not offered if there are no signs of abuse. It is mentioned on here at times.

3. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Guessing that's the logic board on it's way out...?

You're pretty much going to have to put on auction on eBay and hope for the best, just list the things that aren't working and nothing more.