Fair price for second had original CD 2Ghz/2 GB MacBook? (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by codo, Apr 4, 2009.

1. codo macrumors 6502

Hey guys.

Wonder if you could spare me a second and give me your opinion. Basically, I have a VERY well looked after original white MacBook 2006 2 Ghz / 2GB ram / 120 gig HD and I'm just wondering what a fair price would be for the machine?

A small split in the arm rest occurred a few weeks ago and the entire top part of the machine has been replaced (free by the way - cheers Apple care!) so new track pad/keyboard etc. Looks fantastic.

I ask because I'm trying to budget for the new aluminium MacBook but really need to have an idea of a fair price. On eBay I've had a quick look and it seems to be anything from £300 to £500. I'd really like to buy it whilst I can still get a student discount.

Would you also say eBay is the place to get the best price, or are there other options now? I have heard these "cash converter" stores or similar can give fair prices.

Cheers for any tips!

Chris.

2. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

The lower end of that range I would think. I would pay you £300 for it if you want a quick sale.

Steer clear of Cash Converters etc... they only offer a 'good' price as most stock is stolen :mad:

3. codo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advise. Quick isn't really a necessity, got a few months - getting maximum "poundage" is, however.

I thought £300 was the likely price (I was trying to delude myself into thinking I could get between £400-500 haha).

I shall have to save a little bit harder before taking the plunge.

Cheers.

4. omarjk macrumors regular

I think that with the right marketing, end time, and a bit of luck, you could achieve in the £400s on eBay.

Essentially you need - a good write-up of how great your laptop is/has been to you over the years, explain the general good stuff about Macs and really stress factors like functionality etc, take some sexy shots of the laptop, and time the listing to end on a Sunday evening.

The luck involves having the right buyers around, of course.

A bif problem with eBay is that many sellers cannot be bothered with investing time in to their listing and so always lose potential buyers as nothing makes their listing truly stand out and gets the viewer salivating over their product.