Fair price for used series 0?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by alkalifly, Jun 5, 2019.

1. alkalifly macrumors regular

alkalifly

What would be a fair price for a used Apple Watch Sport? It’s the first generation Apple Watch, I believe they are retroactively referred to as “series zero” since they came before the series 1. The face has some scratches, upon close examination, but nothing too serious.

I see them being listed in ebay for $80-120, but I’m not sure if any are actually being bought/sold for that price, especially since there are used series 1 watched being listed in the same price range. Can anyone give me a sense of what would be the minimum and/or maximum price that is fair and reasonable? Thanks in advance!

2. newtestleper macrumors 6502

$3.50

3. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

You can go into advanced in EBay and click sold items. Looks like 50-70$ possible for a gen 0. If it’s in extremely good shape.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Just be aware if it just needs a new battery . . . .

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

First Gen Sport models won’t fetch north of $70, it would have to be in immaculate condition for anything higher. Keep in mind, selling locally for a first Gen would be a waste if time, eBay would be the only lucrative source I would use for a larger audience with the first Gen watch.

6. alkalifly thread starter macrumors regular

alkalifly

7. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I wonder if Gen 0 will be worth anything years from now.

8. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I remember when these first came out I always wondered if they'd work like traditional watches in that all you needed to do was replace the battery and it will run like new.

It costs $79 to replace the battery and it will still be slow with a lot shorter battery life than a gen 2 or 3

9. trinec macrumors newbie

Still using my Watch Series 0 since release. Woke up today at 4:45AM took it from the charger, had several messages (imessage, sms) displayed, some calendar entries, payed 3 times with it, went 10k running with it. Now, at 22:30PM it's at 32% batterie. No worries for me to replace it - in fact I would even take a watch 1 or 2 for a less expensive value. Since release it got charged before sleeping and got on when woken up. Even my wife is running with W4, no reason for me to upgrade until my one is broken... Apple sports activities still sucks on analyses - no whatter what model of watch.

10. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I thought exactly the same until I got series 4.

11. trinec macrumors newbie

Why? It should only display silently information from sms/imessages and calls to me on meetings and be able to pay. That's the only reason for me - can't see any benefit for upgrading. I see every day the W4 from my wife. It's faster when using any apps, tracking... but hey - this 5 seconds before starting my workout I can wait. If any messages from SMS/iMessage will be delayed displayed with 5-10 seconds is not important. Paying with watch 0 - double clikcing and it's instead ready. So it matches my recommends without any problem. When it'll be broke I still can take a look. But hey - I'm still running luckily on a MacBook Late 2008 privately and a 2017er one in business. Even in usage an iPad 3 (only dock connector for cahrging sucks), and iPad Mini 1. Not much different for usual cases... Not everything must be bought yearly. Only my mobile device is a more or less actual one as X.

Only thing I could miss on my Watch is cellular option. This could be great on a longer run (2h+) to be available.

12. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I completely understand what you’re saying, and I’m happy you’re still enjoying your Zero, I was too until I got series 4.

Hard to explain, you’ll know it when you see it.

13. Relentless Power, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Not at all. It’s not a ‘one off device’ or ‘limited edition model’ that was produced in small numbers, it was a mass produced tech product into the millions, no one will be paying excessively for a first GEN Apple Watch years from now, rather it be used or new. The only model that somebody might be willing to pay extra for, would be the 18 karat gold Edition model simply for the casing material.

14. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I’d say that you’re right on track. I had a Series 4 for a few months and recently sold it and and am using my Series 3 again. I don’t really miss my Series 4 much. Like you said, for telling time and getting discrete notifications, the Series 0 is fine.

15. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

Sold my series 0 black ss 42mm for $100

16. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

My daughter is using my Series 0 Aluminum 42mm. (It still looks like new.) Personally, I wouldn't pay anything for a Series 0 but there are plenty of people who would appreciate it as a gift.

17. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I received a bit over $125 for my Stainless Steel Series 0 late last year on eBay. The battery was still going strong (I was about 25-33% after a full day) and it was in good condition.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The key to selling an older model Apple Watch, isn’t just based on the condition, it’s the price you’re asking. What I like to do, is I gauge the market what the specific model Apple Watch might be worth used on the Internet, then I usually will price it $10/$15 lower than what other sellers are asking. I can usually sell items relatively quickly. That’s always been my method of operation selling anything used online.