Fair Selling Price for a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dMnyc, Aug 31, 2010.

1. dMnyc macrumors newbie

dMnyc

Hi guys,

I recently acquired a Mac workstation as part of a settlement from my company that went out of business and couldn't pay my final wages. I think I got a fair deal but I was hoping someone could give me a solid figure of the value of this machine.

Mac Pro :apple:
    2x QuadCore 2.8 GHz
    2GB RAM
    500 GB HD
    20" Cinema Display

Thanks!
    dMnyc :)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Yeah, $2500 sounds about right, given the machine appears to be close to stock for a 2008. Which GPU does it have? The 2600 XT or 8800 GT are common possibilities.

4. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

5. dMnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

dMnyc

Thanks

That sounds reasonable. Does that estimate include the monitor?

Anyway it seems to be more processing power than I need at home. Believe it or not, it's overloading my apartment's circuit breaker. When i wake it up from sleep it usually blows the switch and I have to run down the hall, reset it and restart my computer. (My property manager won't do a damn thing about it.)

I'm thinking of selling it and getting iMac and an iPad. $2500 would more than cover it.

Thanks!

6. Justinf79 macrumors 6502

Justinf79

Only 2GB of RAM? Sounds like they removed some RAM before selling it to you.

Anyways, ya I'd say about $2000-2500.

7. dMnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

dMnyc

Ha, I don't think so.. it was probably just a stock machine like someone said. If I keep it I'll definitely expand the memory.

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I would base the $2500 on the inclusion of the 20" ACD. Without it, probably closer to $2200.

Stock 2008 MPs came with 2GB of RAM from the factory, so it's possible that the company never bothered to upgrade it.

OP - What line of work are you in? Depending on your usage, it might be worth keeping the MP and adding more RAM to it.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

$2450 w/ monitor is approx. fair value, give or take $100. Based on $2200 for the MP and $250 for the ACD.