Fair to ask for replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 01jamcon, May 28, 2009.

1. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I've had my Macbook since August 2006 and I've recently started using an Apple bluetooth keyboard with external screen setup. My Macbook has previously had some bluetooth connection issues but since I hardly ever required it, it didn't bother me. Recently I've had dropped connections frequently so I took it to get fixed, and the geniuses quickly replaced the bluetooth card and sent me away.

Now this is where its gets to the frustrating part, within an hour of getting home and using it, the bluetooth's playing up again. This isn't my first issue. I've had issues with it sleeping (for which I think they replaced the logic board and the magnets in the lid), the chipped palmrest issue (for which they replaced the upper casing), a dying battery (which they replaced), and I'm sure one more issue. All in all, quite a few repairs I'm glad I bought Applecare for.

However, this is getting a bit silly now, I want a Mac that just works, cause when it does, I'm very happy, so:
    1) Do you think it's fair for me to go in the next time and ask them about replacing my laptop entirely, which I've heard they do after frequent repairs? (Bear in mind that its got to the point where it almost makes financial sense for Apple to just give me a replacement machine, so its not a wholly selfish request)
    2) And how should I go about it?; do I come straight out with it and hope for the best, or see what they need to replace next (they said logic board again if the bluetooth didn't work), then pose this as an alternative.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

All I know is that in the states there is the "lemon law" and I believe 3 major repairs qualifies. I am unsure about the UK. I would certainly look into a repair, did I read correctly that there was only one repair completed and now you want a new MB?

3. 01jamcon thread starter macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

No, over the 2 1/2 years, I've had at least four major issues each requiring fixing and replacement parts. That's fair right?

4. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

In order to be considered a "lemon" in the United States, the 3 repairs have to be for the SAME problem.

Unless you have Applecare, apple makes no guarantees on the functionality of your system past 1 year from purchase, so I don't see that this is a replacement issue. It is financially cheaper for apple to put in a new logic board than to give you brand new hardware that is a substantial upgrade from your current configuration.

5. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

my mid-range white macbook that i purchased in july 2008 went through a white spot screen replacement, two hard drive replacements, and a failed usb port. Apple Care covered all of it, up until the USB port. They replaced my $1200 whitebook with the $1600 2.4 ghz aluminum macbook. its nice :):)

6. 01jamcon thread starter macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Ok, number 1, I don't know if the same "law" applies in the uk and fair enough, if they do replace the logic board, it's only the 2nd time, and its not exactly the same problem.

2) I wish you'd have read my post, I know its a bit long, but I quote: "All in all, quite a few repairs I'm glad I bought Applecare for"

3)While I"m leaning on the side of hoping for a replacement, I certainly don't expect one, and I especially don't expect it to be new. I'd be happy with a refurbished whitebook of any age, in equally good condition as mine, just fully working.

7. 01jamcon thread starter macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Hmm, I guess that despite your first problems I should say, lucky you :D

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Can't hurt to ask, but don't get your hopes up.

9. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Are logic boards the same across models? I have a 2006 17" MBP that has gone in for a logic board replacement. Do they need one specifically from that year or can they use a later one?

The Apple store sent it to the repair center where they replaced the fans, keyboard, top case, bottom case and the LCD screen. During testing they decided it needs a new logic board and the part wasn't available. Where are they going to get the part from? I thought the repair center was the place where all the parts are stored.

I'm surprised they didn't just give me a replacement. Seems like the cost of all the parts they switched would be more than a new machine! Any chance they won't find a logic board?

eV

10. 01jamcon thread starter macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

No, logic boards are different across different models of laptops certainly. It's a shame yours had to have so many repairs and I would have also thought that Apple would have just given you a replacement laptop of some kind. The only thing preventing that is what you say in your sig, if its BTO then perhaps you have something extra that the stores couldn't give you. Looks like you may be waiting a while for them to find a logic board :(

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If it works in the store but not at home, even after being replaced, I suspect there may be some 2.4GHz interference causing BT signal corruption.

Try and see what happens with a cheap $30 external USB bluetooth dongle. If you still have problems after a few hours, then good bet radio interference is the issue and not your laptop.

12. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I'm not sure its the store's decision. All they did was check it (I did have a Applecare case number before I went in) and they sent it off to the repair center.

It is BTO but it's also a 2006 1st gen MBP. I doubt there's anything on there that can't be replaced with another machine. As far as I remember I got the 2.16, 2 G RAM and the 7200 RPM drive. I believe the drive may have been an upgrade.

Where are they going to find one from? At some point I'm going to tell them I can't wait anymore, they've replaced 6 things in one repair and that they at least need to authorize a loaner.

The background here is that I logged the service request in April. I was stationed in Kuwait at the time and they couldn't help me in the local store. I had to wait until I returned to the States 2 weeks ago. Applecare expired on May 26th but they did authorize a free repair. It's been one week now and the logic board issue just came up today.

Not really sure what to do here. In my line of work a week is a very long time to be without a computer, not to mention I'm scheduled to return to Kuwait next week. I did speak to Tier 2 this morning and gently explored the potential of a replacement but all she could do was expedite the repair process.

I'm now also concerned that with so many new parts, things may not play well with each other and I could end up with another problem - and this time I'll be overseas.

eV