Fair warning to all ordering the iPhone 4!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nateharr, Jun 13, 2010.

1. nateharr macrumors 6502

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PAY FOR EXPEDITED SHIPPING!

Apple always promise that your product will arrive on the release date, regardless of which shipping option you choose.

Most people, out of fear, pay for overnight shipping and then whine when everyone else gets theirs on day one also.

EDIT: All shipping dates are always estimates. :)

Save yourself the trouble and Apple the paperwork to refund you; stay away from overnight shipping. If you preorder soon enough, you will receive your iPhone on the release day. It will arrive the day Apple promises, and that date will be plastered all over the website on the day you order.

Last year, the threads complaining about how Apple handled this got extremely old.

I hope this thread can save some confusion and prevent some unhappy customers.

2. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

3. menist macrumors regular

menist

4. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Just to clarify, they do not promise launch day delivery. No company would be stupid enough to do that because unseen circumstances can delay the delivery by the shipping carrier. If they promised and people do not get it, then people can sue.

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

I know.

I realized that last time.

I don't know why they even have it.

Maybe it's like they type those in first? :rolleyes:

6. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, for the past two years Apple has promised launch day delivery, so talk with them. :)

Anything could hinder a shipment, regardless of a scheduled shipping date. It's always in the fine print that a shipment can be delayed.

If you're theory were true, no company could ever estimate a shipping date, and companies do that everyday.

7. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I have never seen them promise that day. Plus, you have only been able to pre-order starting with the 3GS, which came out last year. That is not the past two years.

My theory is true because promising a ship date and estimating a ship date are two different things. Also, a ship date and delivery date are two different things. AT&T stated delivery "as early as" in their press release because they can not promise anything.

I recently ordered something from amazon.com and the estimated delivery date was 6/12, however, I received the package on 6/10. When I ordered something from Barnes & Noble, the estimate ship date was 5/26, however it was shipped on 5/27.

8. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Apple's website said "delivers June 29th" for the 3GS. So they actually did promise a delivery date, and I would say tat 98% received their iPhone that day.

9. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Yes they have promised launch-day delivery, but they do have a disclaimer saying that it is not Apple's responsibility if the carrier makes an error.

10. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I am not saying that it will and did not come on the date specified. I am saying that no one said promised. It is expected to delivered on that date, but it does not say that you definitely will. :)

11. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

You're right about the iPhone preordering being only last year. I was thinking of another delivery. Sorry. But it worked for my 3GS last year.

Yes, the date is "estimated" with a nice asterisk right next to it.

My point is that expedited shipping will not improve your shipping time. For some it even seemed to hinder the process. (Shipping times were not updated as frequently and many people got nervous.)

All shipping dates are always "estimated" so to me they are still promised. I guess my phrasing was a little off.

If Apple....touts a specific shipping date, you'll get it that day unless there are other, 3rd party factors affecting the process.

12. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I think they offer the faster shipping because they can ship out the phones later. People do it as a safety measure, but it is probably a way that Apple can "prolong" time to make more phones.

EDIT: I was not trying to start a fight, by the way!

13. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Well that's a very fine line then. Telling the consumer that their product will be delivered on a certain day is somewhat of a promise. Obviously, suing Apple would not be possible since there was no contract or anything, but still it's a promise that the company will do as they told the consumer.

Sorry this got off topic, thanks for the tip OP! :)

14. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand that. :)

I want my info to be as accurate and helpful as possible, so please, feel free to correct me.

I think we were always on the same page, I just didn't phrase it properly.

No worries.