Fairly Basic question I would think...need help with VPN possibly?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 3301991, Apr 29, 2009.

1. 3301991 macrumors newbie

Ok I could be way off in the title, but I just got my macbook, but My grandparents have had a macBook pro for quite sometime. However, that generation isn't all that tech savy, so I need a way to control her computer from mine. I know there's programs for it, I just don't know what's best for me. I need a good, reliable, freeware program so I can help her out "hands-on".

thanks a bunch!!!

2. Chipskip macrumors member

are you on the same local network or connecting via WAN?

3. Mantronix macrumors regular

I'm also interested in this. I recently bought the unibody macbook and I have an aluminum 24" iMac as well. I would like to access/control my iMac with my macbook at home or away at home.

4. booste macrumors member

booste

Your thinking of VNC

A server of it is included in OS X. Go to sharing and click on screen sharing

for a client for the computer that will control the other computer, google VNC and I think something like 'tightVNC' will pop up. Get something like that.

5. ebika macrumors 6502

If you're using a Mac as the client, there is a VPN client built into OS X. In Finder, select "Go" -> "Connect to server..." (or ⌘-K) and enter vnc://address, with "address" being an IP address or ComputerName.local.

This works easily if you are on the same LAN. However, doing this across the internet means you have to do additional steps. You could set up the router to port forward TCP 5900 to the host computer's IP. You could use MobileMe's Back to My Mac. You could use something like LogMeIn (which is connecting you via VPN to allow easy VNC access).