Fairly new Macbook Pro having issues with charger, and random shut-offs! Help please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stellarrr, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Stellarrr macrumors newbie

Hello:), I have a 10 month old 13'' macbook pro and i am just now starting to have issues with it and its charger. There are two problems that began happening on the same night, but i do not see how they could be related.

I know my laptop is under warranty and i will probably take it in to the apple store, but i'd like to get other opinions first, because i really hate to deal with backing it up and all that stuff.

Problem #1
    A few days ago, i had been using my computer for a long time with it plugged in, maybe 7 hours or so, (which i have done before with no problem) when the charger randomly stopped working. I checked all of the obvious, and plugged it back in. it started working again for a bit, but sometimes it just randomly decides not to charge. Usually it is when i wiggle it around or something. (wire problem maybe?) Did it get too hot or something?

Problem #2
    This one is bigger deal to me. About 3 hours after the first problem, i was using my computer like normal, and it randomly shut off! (not low battery, it happened while plugged in.) it was getting really hot, so i thought this might be the problem. I let it sit for like 30 minutes or so, and turned it back on. But when it got to the blue screen it turned off again. I was freaking out! So i waited some more, and turned it on, it worked fine. the only think i noticed was that it forgot my network settings and i had to re-enter the password for wi-fi. Also, the time and date was set back to December 31st, 2008, around 5:00 P.M. and i got an alert saying some applications may not work correctly since the clock is set back to 2008. Once the internet turned back on, this fixed itself though. This same thing happened again tonight! :eek:

If you know what this could be, how severe it is, if the two problems are connected (which i doubt), or even any solutions, please let me know! anything is appreciated!

P.S. sorry if i'm doing something wrong, i'm new here! haha. and i know i have bad grammar:p

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Problem #1 is probably an easy fix. They'll likely just give you a new charger.

Problem #2 is a little more complex. You may have a faulty logic board, which is kinda an important part. You may have just gotten unlucky (as logic board failures are pretty rare, especially with a new Mac).

More than likely, they're going to recommend you backup your stuff. With a logic board failure, they'll either need to replace the logic board (which could result in them also replacing the hard drive), or they might just swap it out for another machine.

Either way, the Apple Store is your friend. :)

3. Stellarrr thread starter macrumors newbie

Yuck, alright! thanks!!! haha
    I guess that would be good since i'm into my last two months of warranty i think!

4. Xenophon macrumors regular

Take it back to the store, they have to fix this. If you haven't done so already buy AppleCare. Given the quality of the components they use in their laptops, chances are you'll need it in the next couple of years. I didn't purchase it and am seriously regretting that choice, guess I overestimated quality.

5. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Best Solution is a new charger, get a replacement from Apple.

6. xtin macrumors newbie

Stellar, so what happened after? Did you have your MBP and charger checked? What did they say the problem was?

I'm having the same problem for about 2 weeks now. Often, my charger would not work in my MBP. When it does, a little movement would stop the charger from working (the small green dot light turns off) and so will the power of my MBP (when I've charged it for a while already - probably has about 40% power already). When I turn it on, the time and date resets to 2001. Scary.

I haven't brought it back to the Apple store. The first time I went, my issue was that my MBP would not charge. The technician and I thought it must be my battery. But upon checking, he said it was fine. So we thought it was the charger. We tried using my charger in different MBP units. At first it wouldn't work, then eventually it did. So I left thinking everything is ok. I have a hard time using my charger, I attach and remove the magnetic connector (I do not know the technical term) a lot of times before I get the small dot to light up and when it's finally working, a small movement on the charger cable would just kill the power of my charger and MBP and reset the time and date.

I've had this for more than a year now and I am out of warranty. I really hope it's nothing serious. Right now, I use my husband's charger and everything's fine - no blackouts. Oh, my charger doesn't work in his MB too so I really think it's the charger...

Hope you guys can help me.