Fake antivirus popup

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by amynet, Sep 17, 2011.

1. amynet macrumors newbie

I've been getting a popup that says "Windows Antivirus 2011 has found critical process activity on your PC and will perform fast scan of system files!."

I clicked OK and closed the window, which prompted me to click on "Leave Page" or "Stay on page". Does this actually install and infect my mac book?

2. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

I recommend to install the web of trust add on so if one pops up again it will block it.

If you don't see anything on your computer about it, you are probably safe since these types of viruses tend to be quite annoying to make you think you are infected and buy their 'product' to remove it.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

You're not running windows. Kill the popup, or if it won't kill, quit the browser and restart. Unless you were prompted for your admin password, it will not install and will not harm your Mac.

I remember the first time I saw one - it brought up a realistic looking WINDOWs-like screen that said my C: drive had 33 viruses, my D: drive had another 40, etc. Sine the Mac doesn't even use drive letters, it's obvious it is fake.

4. chrisman macrumors newbie

I've never heard that WOT will block that kind of stuff and it also hasn't blocked pop ups.

What website were you on when you got the pop up? How many times have you gotten the pop-up? Is it an application in itself? Have you been able to quit it (if you are having a hard time quitting it, open up Activity Monitor {Applications > Utilities})?

5. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

It will not effect your mac, it's malware designed for windows, to get your credit card to remove virus' that do not exist.
    Then you have to buy a legitimate AV to remove the malware that the Bogus AV installed.
    its surprising people still fall for that rubbish.

R.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't install software simply by visiting a website. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.