Fake Apple In-Ear?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by theturtle, Oct 5, 2010.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, looking to get some back up earphones for my Westones. Have my eyes set on some used (gross i know, not a big deal to me after cleaning though) apple in ears. The problem is, MOST of them on ebay are more than 50% cheaper than the apple store. which brings up a valid point about counterfeit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-In-Ear-He...Accessories&hash=item1c160c3ddf#ht_2203wt_907

thats the one im interested in. the seller also has 10K+ feedback. i would ask him, but i was worried he would give me a fake answer.

what do you guys think?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Pretty sure those aren't real. That holder for the extra buds. I don't recall getting that in my box. I could be wrong though because i basically stuck them in a bad and put on some comply covers. Why would these sell for $20, even refurbished if they were real?

3. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

i mean, the holder, etc etc all checks out (thats how they really come). these are the dual driver earphones that retail for 80 on the apple website. but yeah, i agree on the price part, 60 dollars cheaper! but that feedback!!! and its located in the states. ugh.

4. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

I do a lot of eBay shopping and comparing them to what is on Apple's site I say they look real. The cases make it seem legit but you never know. The price is almost too good. If authenticity is important and you plan to keep them a long time I'd buy them new from Apple. Do these sound better than what comes with the iPhone in the box?

5. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

The owner/seller states they're refurbs at the top of the auction, thus the reduced price. They appear to be packaged exactly how my authentic apple in ears cam packaged, with case and ear plugs/case, that I got in store the day I bought my Macbook

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Maybe I got shafted. I bought mine in store and I don't recall that little tube that holds the extra ear pieces.

7. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

8. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I guess so. It came with mine.

Also notice that it has the old audio jack, which I believe, means that it is affected by presence of sweat. Might want to pass if you plan on working out with 'em.

9. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

i know but more than 50% off just cause their refurbs? :eek:

so whats the general consensus? authentic and good to go?

10. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

they look perfectly legit, HOWEVER they're at least 1-2 years old.
    One can tell from the plug, which is covered in soft rubber instead of hard plastic.

over time the rubber loosens and you're bound to have problems inserting it into an iPhone in a bumper case.

11. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

hmm, i think they are the really old version of it...when the 3GS came out..

I remember seeing them at the Apple store when i first bought an iphone.

I mean, for 20$....its worth a chance...not like your breaking the bank or something =)

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've gotten fake ones before. They are very very close to the real ones, but of often break in a few weeks or lack bass…

Anyways those are fake. The real ones do come with the earplug holder, but the headphone connector is wrong.

What mine look like:
    [​IMG]

(FYI: I bought one when they first came out and the other a couple months ago)

13. tuzii macrumors member

I have genuine apple in-ear phones and they have the same headphone connector as this

[​IMG]

they are from the days me owning a iphone 3g so around 2 years old.

14. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

I ordered them. Hopefully they're real. Or at the very least still sound reasonable.

15. jake21ballin macrumors newbie

I ordered them. They should arrive today. I am suspicious that this post was created to give attention to this seller. Hopefully they're legit.

16. err404 macrumors 68020

I bought a few sets a while back (intentionally) for $2 each. The look VERY close the the real ones but the materials are not as good and the sound quality is far worse. I bought them for the gym since I had shorted out a real pair with sweat dripping down into the mic. I just wanted a cheap replacement with the mic and buttons. I use them mostly for podcasts, so sound quality didn't matter to much.

17. yankintx macrumors 6502

Ya think?

No doubt to me...

18. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

OP

I picked up a fake pair of Apple In-Ear headphones from a market stall in Hong Kong. Everything from the packaging to the final product is so friggin convincing. The shopkeeper told me it was real... when asked how much he wanted for it... he gave it away... "£7 sir". lol.

Here's the video if your interested:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLdOXqJ2-dE

19. jake21ballin macrumors newbie

just got them in the mail. Very quick shipping. Im not sure if they are legit but they sound great for only $20

20. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

Do all the buttons work? And the mic?

21. jake21ballin macrumors newbie

yes they do. I am very impressed with the price and how quickly it was shipped

22. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

I got mine yesterday. They came with no packaging, only the small case, and one small capsule containing an extra set of ear buds. They sound ok for $20, but they are definitely fake.
    I took a risk for $20, whatever. I definitely wouldn't recommend them for anyone looking for quality sound, or someone thinking they are authentic