Fake Flash update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ferdball, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Ferdball macrumors newbie

Be aware.

Yesterday, while investigating some Facebook click-bait, I came across a fake Flash update that is targeting OS X users. Fake flash updates have been very common to infect OS X. They do not rely on a vulnerability in the operating system. Instead, the user is asked to willingly install them, by making them look like genuine Adobe Flash warnings (and we keep telling users to make sure Flash is up to date, so they are likely going to obey the warning and install the update).

https://isc.sans.edu/forums/diary/Fake+Adobe+Flash+Update+OS+X+Malware/20693

2. theengineerbox macrumors newbie

Would this have any effect on those that have removed Flash completely from their systems?

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I doubt it checks for an existing version of Flash at all, so yes. If you know you don't have Flash installed, it will be easier to avoid a fake "update" though :)

4. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

5. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Fake Flash warnings have been around for years. I've yet to come across one that looks like a genuine OS X dialogue box.

6. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

The screenshot in the article shows a passable imitation. Possibly not good enough to fool you, but good enough for most of the target population.

7. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Excellent point. However it will fall on my deaf MR ear who believe anti-malware apps for OS-X are completely useless. Power to them but the target population is still at great risk and will be infected. Sad but true.