Fake Iphones!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajnittoli, Jul 17, 2009.

1. ajnittoli macrumors member

so i was in NYC yesterday and i decided i would peak around those electronic stores...you know the ones that are on every block labeled CAMERAS ELECTRONICS CHEAP!!!
    and so i looked for the iPhone. and right away i could tell the box was fake. and then i noticed they had an iPhone nano version. i also noticed the screen was smaller than the iPhone i held in my hand. i just wanted to know...how many people get ripped off by this kind of merchandise?

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Probably enough people that the store can justify stocking it.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Lots of people. I've visited NYC and passed by those stores, and gawked at the fake boxes for grins.

The boxes they have these things in vary in their "quality" in terms of counterfeiting... some look like they could really be a realApple iPhone box for someone who hasn't seen what they really look like, and don't care to look in the box to see what they're really getting. Others, not so much.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    People in New York sell fake everything Fake Rolex, Purses, Boobs, etc. You have to have a good eye to spot the fake ones sometimes. ;)

5. mikey28 macrumors 6502

It's funny that you post this, because my grandma would be the exactly the type to be suckered.

She would buy an iFAKE and think to herself, "I got one of those phones on SALE!"

And if no-one told her-- she would never know the difference, and be perfectly happy.

There probably is a big market for those knock-off phones-- some people just aren't that choosy. They may not be savvy enough to put much thought in to it...

Bless her heart!

6. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

There is actually a thread on the iphone nano and how long it will take apple to sue them. They actually have a website with the iphone nano for sale with an apple logo on it!

7. ajnittoli thread starter macrumors member

yeah i found all different "types of" iPhone models. there was a 2g lookalike a 3g lookalike and then that iPhone nano. i wanted to go up to one of the store owners and ask how much and if i could perhaps try one out. but i figured they would not let me. its amazing how many of them i saw. i also spotted a fake ipod nano.

8. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

I was in NYC recently, I didn't notice any fake iPhones, but I certainly saw a ton of fake iPod Nanos!

9. Appdict macrumors regular

I've seen a MacBook Air in one of those places, was this fake?

10. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

The other half went to one of those dinner seminar things and they where handing out "shuffles". It was a very good impersonation. I first glance it was very convincing.