Fake Ipod nano bought from Curry's!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by johny5, Jan 9, 2008.

1. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Luckily enough I was in the office when a friend purchased an 8gb nano from curries and was having problems working it.
    I had a look and straight away could see it was a fake!

Poor LCD resolution and misaligned screen
    no scroll touch function
    a PHILIPS SCREW in the rear of the case!
    Crap music interface nothing like apple.

I helped her take it back and got a refund but it was obvious some little s**t had purchased a copy from ebay like this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-8GB-MP4-P...ryZ73839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and then bought one from currys, swapped it then took back the fake to currys for a refund or exchange for another genuine one!

Beware when purchasing from any store other than apple!

2. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Even though those are blatant rip-offs of iPods, it never actually states that the product in the auction is an iPod. Each time it is referred to as an "MP4 Player."

One thing that I *really* don't like, however, is how Amazon will include these fake iPods in their price comparisons. :mad:

3. eb6 macrumors regular

"NEW 8GB MP4 PLAYER. IPOD 3RD GEN STYLE, IN GREEN"

It doesn't?

4. MrGeePee macrumors regular

IPOD 3RD GEN STYLE

Thats why you've gotta be careful with eBay.

5. mpw Guest

It doesn't. It just says it's in the style of an iPod.

6. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

nevertheless, people who are trying to sell these on ebay should be tied up and placed in a boiling vat of tar and then feathered

7. mpw Guest

Why? Unless you're talking about copyright infringement. They're not miss-selling* are they?

EDIT:*Although they do claim it's flash memory in one place and HDD in another, but that could be just an error.

8. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

I beg to differ, they are doing their utmost at making out that they are Ipod Nano's.

If it was me that were selling them legitimately then I would make sure it would state somewhere on the advert that they are NOT genuine Apple Ipod Nano's.

9. mpw Guest

All they claim is that it's in the style of an iPod, in the same way that sparking wine makers claim their product is in the style of Champagne.

It's clear that it's got a FM radio which the iPod's don't, it's clear that it'll play nice with various formats that the iPod won't.

If you bought a table in the Regency style, or a Alpine style cabin in Rockies would you feel robbed?

Do Apple claim in their adds that the MacBook ISN'T as good as some WinPCs for gaming?

You've got really good intentions with your marketing philosophy, but it wouldn't help your sales.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is clear that the intent of the eBay title is to mislead people. Buyer beware and anyone buying an electronic that normally retails for much higher than the BIN should know what they're getting into. Additionally, it would be prudent on the buyer's part to ensure the specs are exactly as they are on Apple's website. That said, the focus has now been directed towards the eBay auction, which was not linked for any other reason than to show the readers what "Nano" was returned to Curry's.

The true issue here is that unfortunately Curry's will suffer a loss as someone has taken a product that appears to be a Nano on its face, purchased an actual iPod Nano from Curry's, replaced it with a "fake" Nano and returned it. Most likely they got their money back and ended up getting an actual Nano for much less than retail. As people continue to manufacture products that are nearly identical to the actual product I fear this will continue. Retailers will have to be more prudent in their return process. Fry's electronics for example will go back and check the electronic (sometimes). This may be good advice for any retailer.

Glad your friend got things worked out.

11. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

At the end of the day it is a far far cheap inferior product.
    I suspect the majority of buyers that purchase this do not know that they are not buying a genuine ipod nano, and once they get it they will think that the product is poor and associate this with apple.

I noticed it was a fake straight away by 3 things, the plastic on the screen housing was peeling away, the lcd looked like half the resolution of the current nano and the LCD display itself was mounted off centre and wonky.

Sorry, but you are barking up the wrong tree here, on the fake ipod, it had the very same copied etched in IPOD logo's on the rear of it so it has been made with the sole intention of fooling people.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Even if it didn't have the Apple etched on the back it's still infringing on design copyrights in the states simply because it looks exactly the same.

13. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I think more worrying than the eBay sales is that somebody bought one in Currys! Which to non-UK people is a really rubbish electronics / white goods re-seller.

14. matttrick macrumors 6502

well just look on ebay for any kind of electronics and you will see tons of ripoffs. with a lot of things you cant even tell. like some of the ipod headphones. i bought a pair once that said ipod headphones, but that taught me the lesson of looking for GENUINE or OEM stuff, because they make almost exact copies...visually. technically they are always far inferior and cheaper.

anyway, i would just attribute this to a less than attentive associate working there who took it back without noticing. still a crappy story but im glad OP got the money back.

15. mpw Guest

And when my cheap sparkling wine is horrid should I hate the French? No of course not, I should accept that I made an error of judgement by assuming the detail of what I was buying. Of course I'll still hate the French, but for various and many other reasons.
    Had this been the case if you'd received the ebay item you could've returned it, no harm no foul.
    Don't tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree when I'm not. I'm talking about the ebay item you linked to, which shows no etched iPod on the back. You're assuming that this is the same as that which your friend purchased from Currys.

Currys appear to have been fooled by the returned item in what appears to be a case of fraud, the ebay seller is not doing anything that is fraudulent to the buyer, although as QuarterSwede says there probably is a copyright issue between the manufacturer and Apple.

Frankly I'm surprised Currys refunded your friend, as I would've thought they'd just have handed over a bona-fide nano if that's what they'd paid for.

16. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Thanks for the warning. Although, should Currys really be putting something back up for sale after it's been returned for one reason or another? When I worked at Superdrug all returned items went back to the manufacturer (Apple in this case) and then Apple would sell it as a refurb, clearly not for that one since it's fake though.

Why are Currys not doing that? I thought it was common practice? Maybe not.

17. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

Lol, makes me wonder if you are the ebayer selling these.

Chill, this is only a thread, I didn't realise you felt so strongly on ebayers selling fake goods.

18. mpw Guest

As a policy I believe they do for opened items, or at least that's what I was told in a London store just before Christmas.

If the fraudster had gone to the effort to make it appear unopened and pass it off as a return of an unwanted gift or exchange for another colour I could understand.

19. mpw Guest

WTF?!

YOU'RE the one saying the ebayer is misrepresenting an item.
    YOU'RE the one calling for him to be tortured.
    YOU'RE the one that started the thread because you felt so strongly.

I feel equally strongly that people shouldn't sell fake goods as I do that people shouldn't misrepresent even legitimate goods and I feel strongly that people shouldn't make assumptions about others and question their honesty and legitimacy without any real proof.

20. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Yeah, I suppose.
    I guess I just assumed that when someone took it back that it was 'open'.
    Duh me.

21. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

Sorry but I think others reading the thread will make their own minds up on your comments.

I did laugh at your strange analagies comparing blatant copied ipods to "Wine", "tables" and "Macbooks not been as good as pc laptops for gaming"

Anyway, I had no intention whatsoever at how this thread has turned, this was a supposed to be an informative thread at how people are moving copied ipods in this current day.

here endeth the lesson.

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It is against eBay rules to use the trademark iPod in an auction title to describe something that is not an iPod, even if disclaimed with the word 'style'.