Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlackiBook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Norman, Oklahoma
Okay so I put on CL that I was looking for older generation iPods to add to my collection and I got a ton of replies and I bought a bunch of older iPods! Well that was about 2 weeks ago and I have been getting an offer here and there, but now this one lady emailed me and said that she bought this for her sons birthday but he already had a Touch so he didn't want it and she wants to sell it to me for $20! Well I ask for a picture and she sends me one and I am almost certain it is fake! First of all does anyone know for certain this is fake? Second, should I buy it anyway? I kinda like the idea of a fake iPod sitting around and you can't beat $20! Picture below!

Attachments

• ipod-2.jpg
    ipod-2.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 619

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
What in the picture makes you think this is a fake?

However, I wouldn't touch any offer that's too good to be true. This reeks of scam.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Why do you assume it is a fake?

Because of the price? Maybe the seller is a seller of stolen gods, that would explain the price a lot better.

The picture and content seem genuine to me, but I've never seen a fake iPod, so maybe the fakers are that good.

BlackiBook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Norman, Oklahoma
Why do you assume it is a fake?

Because of the price? Maybe the seller is a seller of stolen gods, that would explain the price a lot better.

The picture and content seem genuine to me, but I've never seen a fake iPod, so maybe the fakers are that good.

The price is what did it for me... I have seen a few fakes through CL but they wanted why too much for a fake! I would love to have a collection of fakes but people want as much as a real one for their fakes! It might be stolen, I didn't think of that either!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
If it were real and legally purchased, why wouldn't she just return it for a refund? Even if I were selling a fake or stolen iPod, I'd charge a lot more for it. I really can think of no way to explain the price tag, unless it's broken or she's just an idiot.

BlackiBook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Norman, Oklahoma
Well personally I hope she is just an idiot... Well I said I would take it and I asked her when she wants to meet up and she never emailed me back! I guess we will see what happens!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
If she got it with some kind of rebate, she'd have to cut out the UPC label. I had to do that with my iPod IIRC. I got the buy-a-Mac-get-a-rebate-on-an-iPod deal for students.

They may have done that, and now can't return the iPod because the UPC label is gone?

BlackiBook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Norman, Oklahoma
Okay well here is the update... After a few emails back and forth, me asking when I could come get it and them saying they work every night, we finally agreed to meet up after work tonight! I was excited! Well I check my email right before I get off work and I have an email from the the "lady" said that his wife took him (She/He changed her/his gender on me!) on a surprise trip to Montana and that we just finish it through paypal... So it was a scam :( too bad though, that would have been one hell of a deal!

P.S.- I buy and sell on CL every single day (My second job is part time at a pawn shop, and we are allowed to buy things from people when the pawn shop doesn't want it) and I know a scam on CL when I see one! Well this guy did a hell of a job hiding that it was a scam up until the last email! He almost got me!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.