Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
I'm surprised that they had the nerve to advertise it with a picture of the real iPod. That is clearly illegal, to use another company's product image and say that it is your product. However, Apple has stopped going after these companies because: a) they really don't make any impact on iPod sales and b) the companies who make those fake WANT Apple to sue them because then people would actually know their name. If Apple doesn't sue them, then most people wouldn't even know that they existed. It's free publicity. It's pointless anyway, there are so many fakes out there, these companies can just close down then start up in another name, or pull the product and put out another similar one.

agurlnamedgoo

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
I'm surprised that they had the nerve to advertise it with a picture of the real iPod. That is clearly illegal, to use another company's product image and say that it is your product. However, Apple has stopped going after these companies because: a) they really don't make any impact on iPod sales and b) the companies who make those fake WANT Apple to sue them because then people would actually know their name. If Apple doesn't sue them, then most people wouldn't even know that they existed. It's free publicity. It's pointless anyway, there are so many fakes out there, these companies can just close down then start up in another name, or pull the product and put out another similar one.

Exactly. I know of someone who does this with Tee-shirts... puts copyrighted images on shirts and sells them for $50/ea. Waiting to be sued for the publicity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.