Fake or photo

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Hmm... eight out of ten for me. I'm happy with that. There was one that looked very, very CG to me (I won't say which to avoid spoiling it for those who read the thread before trying the quiz), but I'll also admit to a bit of guessing.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
8/10 not bad considering I'm sure some of you will be print/graphic professionals who know what to look for in a good fake.

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
okay, so what do you think about the pictures on the apple site of the products, are these fake or photo? i think they are fake, because they are just too perfect!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Dafke said:
okay, so what do you think about the pictures on the apple site of the products, are these fake or photo? i think they are fake, because they are just too perfect!

Uhh.. where exactly are you seeing this? Not at the link you provided.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Dafke said:
In general, you mean? Genuine photos but lit perfectly, shot by top professionals and given a good spit and polish in Photoshop for good measure. ;)

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
yellow said:
Uhh.. where exactly are you seeing this? Not at the link you provided.
I'm talking about the images of the apple products on www.apple.com
The iBooks, iMac, Powermacs, everything!

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
Jaffa Cake said:
In general, you mean? Genuine photos but lit perfectly, shot by top professionals and given a good spit and polish in Photoshop for good measure. ;)
I just think they are too perfect, and if you consider these are 3d models, it also makes it a lot easier to make these Quicktime VR gallery movies.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
9/10 on the first round, though the golf ball was a toss up, the grass looked a little too clean, though, looking back there was one dead tip that I should have picked up on.

4/4 on second round. :)

If you know what to look for the lighting is really impossible to get perfect in CG graphics, and if the lighting looks perfect look for natural imperfections, the chairs one in the second round almost got me, but if you look at the seat portions of the chairs you'll see some natural-looking texturing and lighting, a giveaway that it's not CG.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
6/10 first time.

Couple hours later, 7/10.

Retried, 10/10. Bonus Round, 4/4. The bonus round was EASY!!

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Dafke said:
Some products look real, but some look fake. The iMac G5, for example, with the built-in iSight, looks fake.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
ipacmm said:
I think all of the Mac's on store.apple.com look fake.
I doubt they're fake, but just highly Photoshopped to improve the image.

L

Lau

9/10. It wasn't too hard, but it's interesting to think "Could a CGI image look that realistic" and "Could a photo look that perfect?".