Fake Source, do NOT add to installer

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Andy Huang, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Andy Huang macrumors newbie

I've made an announcement about this on another forum site, but I figured I'll cross post it here so that you guys can become aware of this, too. Below is a quick copy&paste from my announcement on iPod Touch Fans (not linked; I don't want to make this post look like an ad, if moderators here feel the need to link it, please feel free to edit the post).

It has come to our attention that someone is trying to exploit people's unwillingness to pay for the $20 app upgrade by releasing a fake source claiming to be 1.1.3 apps upgrade for 1.1.2.

The source is:
    dav.team.apps.googlepages.com/repo.xml

DO NOT INSTALL THIS SOURCE!!

It will uninstall these applications from your unit:
    Official Apps:
    YouTube
    MobileMusicPlayer (Music + Video)
    Preference
    MobileSafari
    Calculator

Unofficial Apps:
    SSH
    Customize
    SIP-VoIP

When attempting to Uninstall this app (After you've installed it), it will attempt to uninstall SIP-VoIP

When attempting to Update this app (After you've installed it, and they update a version number), it will attempt to uninstall SIP-VoIP and then copy a fake SIP-VoIP application (perhaps another virus).

DO NOT INSTALL THE SOURCE. And don't install any other untrusted sources, too!

2. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Thanks for the heads up, this should be stickied.

3. Nicky-Larson macrumors member

Thanx for the heads up

Thanx a lot for this, I can't believe people are doing this. Gush I am so mad that someone would do this. I hope that they are traced out and punished. I smell somethingfishy here. Someone trying to teahc jailbreakers a lesson

Thanx a Million Man