Fake (virtual) multichannel sound in Mac OS

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Newgleb, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Newgleb macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Is there really no way in Mac OS to play iTunes or Spotify music tracks using all speakers and the sub-woofer that are connected to my 7.1 channel external usb audio card?

At the moment the system only plays music to the front two speakers from stereo sources like Spotify etc. All speakers are only used if playing music from players and audio formats that support multiple channels. Any ideas how to fake multiple audio channels, the way Windows does it? I have a Diamond 7.1 Channel USB external sound card and Mac OS Lion.

2. PAPO macrumors 6502

Some amplifiers have an option for Multiple Stereo/ All Channel Stereo, which makes all your left speakers output left and the same for right.

that being said, why? stereo is stereo, and should be left that way, you'd be surprised the the impact good stereo can have

3. Newgleb thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty happy with my amplifier and wouldn't want to buy another one. Is there a software solution? I've tried Jack Os X which should have done the trick but it didn't work in my system.

I want to use multiple audio channels because my stereo is not "bassy" enough for me at low volume. A subwoofer solves this problem :)

4. PAPO macrumors 6502

I was only suggesting that incase your amp had it but you didn't know it (and not realising that your problem was really a lack of bass) but if not then there are a few other, better, solutions for that problem like; EQ on your computer, EQ on the amp, better bass management settings on the amp (how much you can adjust this can depend on the amp), or maybe the problem is that your used to having exaggerated bass and it's really fine