Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
So I was randomly browsing DeviantArt and this comes up! I have no idea if this is a legit (but slightly-over the top) advertisement, or real malware attempting to install itself on my computer. But anyway I just thought the fake "My Computer" screen was so funny!!! Looks a little out of place, doesn't it?! :D :D :D

virus_warning1.png

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
It's not legit.

They use a Windows screen shot because most use Windows of some flavor.

The Malware that you are to download is an exe (executable) file. Works only on Windows based machines.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
It's not legit.

The Malware that you are to download is an exe (executable) file. Works only on Windows based machines.

Did you even read his post? He clearly knew it was not legit and that it was malware.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
It's not legit.

I think he knows that; he's just posting that because it's amusing to see those kinds of ads, assuming that you're in Windows.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Heh, I had the same thing back in 2004 on my PowerBook. Some kind "anti-virus popup" with an image of a Windows XP window. Rather silly.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
yea ive seen those around and they can be safely ignored. there have however been a few Mac Trojan sightings including this one recently so the Mac user isnt completely safe.

http://www.hdtvxvid.org/ downloads a dmg file after you click "Download" which inside contains an installer which installs a trojan. it actually first starts to download as an exe but then changes to a dmg after it knows you are using OS X.

if you get infected simple trash AdobeFlash and Mozillaplug.plugin from /Library/Internet Plug-Ins and its gone!

WARNING: do not click on website above if you are worried about trojans infecting your Mac.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... there have however been a few Mac Trojan sightings including this one recently so the Mac user isnt completely safe.

http://www.hdtvxvid.org/ downloads a dmg file after you click "Download" which inside contains an installer which installs a trojan. it actually first starts to download as an exe but then changes to a dmg after it knows you are using OS X.

if you get infected simple trash AdobeFlash and Mozillaplug.plugin from /Library/Internet Plug-Ins and its gone!

WARNING: do not click on website above if you are worried about trojans infecting your Mac.
The question that nobody asks:

How does a site like HDTVXvid.org stay up when it is known that the only purpose of the site is to infect the computers of uninformed users? Could it possibly have another completely different purpose? By that I mean: Could the real purpose of this site be to sell antivirus software?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
yeah i dunno i guess no one has challenged them yet.

i see i wrote "simple" above instead of "simply" ;)… cant be bothered editing it as it will still show in my quote.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I also saw the same thing as is in the first post on my macbook pro and imac. I was scared for a second till i googled it and it has no effect on a mac. It is now funny.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I just got that same warning while on DeviantArt, I just closed the window, but thought about how presumptuous it was.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Did you even read his post? He clearly knew it was not legit and that it was malware.
Yes, did you?

He said:
I have no idea if this is a legit (but slightly-over the top) advertisement, or real malware attempting to install itself on my computer
So I thought it best to say that it is not legit and more than likely a malware download just in case he didn't know for sure.

As some have already mentioned, sometimes the exe file download will change to a dmg. So it can still be loaded onto your Mac.

I think he knows that;
Agree. Just wanted to be careful and cover the bases. :)

he's just posting that because it's amusing to see those kinds of ads, assuming that you're in Windows.
Yes, and that is funny.

I forget which sites I've visited, but I've found a couple that will give you a Mac screen shot if running Mac OS and WinXP screen shot if running Windows. It's been a while, if I can find one of them I will post it here.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
yeah i dunno i guess no one has challenged them yet.

HDTVXvid.org has been unveiled for what it is all over the Internet and, I presume, in the electronic security press. This site is supposed to work by masquerading as something that it is not. With its masked removed, HDTVXvid.org is a joke to all but those too ignorant to laugh.

The basic scheme used to entice unaware Web surfers should attract downloaders for other fake products. Wouldn't it make sense to replace HDTVXvid.org with a site that provides a firmware upgrade to your SuperDrive to allow it to play and record Blu-ray or an invitation to Hef's place with free airfare or something?

Bottomline: I smell a rat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.