Fake virus warning...pretty funny!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sehnsucht, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

So I was randomly browsing DeviantArt and this comes up! I have no idea if this is a legit (but slightly-over the top) advertisement, or real malware attempting to install itself on my computer. But anyway I just thought the fake "My Computer" screen was so funny!!! Looks a little out of place, doesn't it?! :D :D :D

[​IMG]

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It's not legit.

They use a Windows screen shot because most use Windows of some flavor.

The Malware that you are to download is an exe (executable) file. Works only on Windows based machines.

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

Did you even read his post? He clearly knew it was not legit and that it was malware.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I think he knows that; he's just posting that because it's amusing to see those kinds of ads, assuming that you're in Windows.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Heh, I had the same thing back in 2004 on my PowerBook. Some kind "anti-virus popup" with an image of a Windows XP window. Rather silly.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I remember those kinds of ads were really prevelent back when I was 10 or 11 years old...thank goodness I didn't believe them. :eek:

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yea ive seen those around and they can be safely ignored. there have however been a few Mac Trojan sightings including this one recently so the Mac user isnt completely safe.

http://www.hdtvxvid.org/ downloads a dmg file after you click "Download" which inside contains an installer which installs a trojan. it actually first starts to download as an exe but then changes to a dmg after it knows you are using OS X.

if you get infected simple trash AdobeFlash and Mozillaplug.plugin from /Library/Internet Plug-Ins and its gone!

WARNING: do not click on website above if you are worried about trojans infecting your Mac.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The question that nobody asks:

How does a site like HDTVXvid.org stay up when it is known that the only purpose of the site is to infect the computers of uninformed users? Could it possibly have another completely different purpose? By that I mean: Could the real purpose of this site be to sell antivirus software?

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeah i dunno i guess no one has challenged them yet.

i see i wrote "simple" above instead of "simply" ;)… cant be bothered editing it as it will still show in my quote.

10. comptr macrumors 65816

I also saw the same thing as is in the first post on my macbook pro and imac. I was scared for a second till i googled it and it has no effect on a mac. It is now funny.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

For ***** and giggles I tried downloading the HDTVPlayer thing, but all I downloaded is the .exe, it didn't change to .dmg for me.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I just got that same warning while on DeviantArt, I just closed the window, but thought about how presumptuous it was.

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

for me in Safari it downloads as an exe but about half way thru shows up and finishes downloading as a dmg.
    [​IMG]

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes, did you?

He said:
    So I thought it best to say that it is not legit and more than likely a malware download just in case he didn't know for sure.

As some have already mentioned, sometimes the exe file download will change to a dmg. So it can still be loaded onto your Mac.

Agree. Just wanted to be careful and cover the bases. :)

Yes, and that is funny.

I forget which sites I've visited, but I've found a couple that will give you a Mac screen shot if running Mac OS and WinXP screen shot if running Windows. It's been a while, if I can find one of them I will post it here.

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

HDTVXvid.org has been unveiled for what it is all over the Internet and, I presume, in the electronic security press. This site is supposed to work by masquerading as something that it is not. With its masked removed, HDTVXvid.org is a joke to all but those too ignorant to laugh.

The basic scheme used to entice unaware Web surfers should attract downloaders for other fake products. Wouldn't it make sense to replace HDTVXvid.org with a site that provides a firmware upgrade to your SuperDrive to allow it to play and record Blu-ray or an invitation to Hef's place with free airfare or something?

Bottomline: I smell a rat.