Fakeintosh

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by one1, Jan 25, 2009.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

Proof of concept video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY7znqrhF3Y&eurl

Dell's new mini 9 SSD netbook that was released 3 months ago in white trim running a flawless execution of 10.5.6 OSX.

Many OSX86 installs on laptops fail horribly. All have some quirk to them like no sound after sleep, won't even go to sleep, no WIFI, or some random oddness. This little Dell Mini 9 with SSD pulls off a flawless execution. Pretty nifty as well that the outside looks like a snowbook, and the inside looks similar to a new macbook.

2. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

a lot of the new netbooks run OSX well. my boss just bought an msi wind and made a crackbook out of it. runs really well for being such a small computer, full audio, web cam, and wifi support.

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I wouldn't say a lot. Many will run it, and features will work, but it's the quirks that stump them up. Even the MSi wind has an issue with waking up with the "0" key stuck wide open, and many wake up without sound and require a reboot. Just fiddly things that make it annoying to use as a hackintosh. The mini 9 is one of the few (3 or less) that will do it flawlessly.

4. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

5. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm counting the HP2133 as the third one, fyi.

6. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

This was bound to happen when Apple went to Intel.

I just hope, for Apple's sake, that the people who get OS X, buy it from Apple or an authorized Apple dealer. Many fix-it hackers/techies unfortunately love to pirate. Many, but not all of course.

7. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

More than enough Mac users as well if you judge by the torrents of its software floating around its not all Hackintosh users getting it...

8. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Thats pretty cool, but i'll stick to my macbook and let my HP notebook run windows.

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I am going to get a netbook, Asus probably, with Windows XP, and that's just fine with me. I have two Macs that run OS X just fine, Jaguar and Tiger, so I simply don't need another OS X machine at this point.

Now if the Asus netbook ran Vista, the first build, I may just be tempted to put OS X on it, being that Vista is not all there yet, until there is a new patch.

Anyway, the netbooks people are putting OS X on are just simple machines which are e-mail, internet, light graphics, light gaming, and word processing laptops so it's really no challenge for Windows to run. It's not as if these netbooks are important graphics machines for most people. I say just keep the Windows OS on it and use it for what it is. The Mac mini is still relatively cheap if someone wants to run the Mac operating system with all its good features.

10. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

I just finished my hackintosh. I used an old emachines T6412 with kalaway 10.5.2. Everything works including wifi except for the built in audio, but the odds of built in audio working are 12%, I'm going to have to get a card.

It really doesn't serve any practical purpose other than to make my 40 inch look awesome when using iTunes.

11. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

The SB Audigy I have is working great with the nX driver as an added bonus for using it you get a working firewire port.

12. TK B$K macrumors 6502

Godddd i reallly want to get a HP 1000 and put leopard on it, But i want everthing to work! does anyone know any where that someone has done this and gotten everything working?

13. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

The hilarious thing is that OS X Leopard on any PC will have more working than any version of Vista on any PC, so go figure.

14. alFR macrumors 68020

Not that easy to take out with you though, is it? I'm seriously considering getting a Mini 9 and putting OS X on it (full shop-bought version) as it seems pretty painless. I have an old Dell Latitude X1 that's my ultraportable machine, but to be honest it's a pain to use as there aren't Windows versions of some of the software I use a lot (Yojimbo, Omnifocus). I don't want to buy an Air because I want a cheap ultraportable that I can just throw in my bag and not worry too much about.

15. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Can't you not just go out and buy a retail version of Leopard and just pop it in?

I thought it doesn't work that way. Like Leopard only supports/has drivers for the hardware in the various Macintosh's. So if you're going to run it on a PC, you get the different hacked versions (Kalyway, Leo4All).

It is another thing if you want to support Apple, and buy the retail version of Leopard, and then put that away in your closet collecting dust, and hack the version with the drivers already in it.

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

For fakeintosh portables, the MSI Wind ($400-$550) seems to be the most seamless from what I have heard on the internet. Still a lot cheaper than a brand new Macbook. I would even be tempted to buy a refurbished or used Macbook for about $150 dollars more.

I am sure over time, every portable that uses an Intel processor can be a reliable, bug-free fakeintosh. I am not so sure about AMD processors, or how much, if any, they are different than computers that use Intel processors.

I am sure Apple Inc. is on notice with this trend and I wouldn't be surprised, especially in these recessionary times, if they came out with a sub-$600 dollar netbook, maybe even way cheaper depending on what features they go with. I find it hard to see Apple matching the Aspire One's $349 dollar price tag anytime soon. Of course I said that about a menu-less MP3 player, and Apple matched their competition dollar for dollar and came out with a then $69 dollar iPod Shuffle. Now of course, the Shuffle is even cheaper these days.

17. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i agree that the msi wind is the top choice for capatibility. my favorite is the samsung nc 10. i got a new wireless card for it in the mail that is compatible with osx for 12 bucks. :cool:

18. chuckcalo macrumors regular

I'm running OSx 10.5.6 on an Acer Aspire One and everything is fully working .. Even the stock wifi (even if it has a workaround) and the internal mic is working aswell.

I can't complain. I wanted my Mac, I got my Mac. Won't go back to Windows for now and might even purchase a Mac laptop in the future (I love how the G4 looks).

Desktops are overrated =S.

:apple: chuck-

19. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

The atom in that Acer runs circles around a G4. Get a MB, if you want a "real" Mac.

Don

20. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

People copying Apple isn't new or even surprising. Apple's growth continues to dwarf the PC market's growth (growth is measured in percentage rather than raw numbers).

Hackintoshes do seem to be against the license for sure, but the vague wording using the phrase "Apple-labeled" opens up the possibility of self-labeling your comp as "Apple" and validating the Hackintosh (I have no idea how that would stand up in a real court).

At any rate, I "legalized" my Hackintosh. Check out the attached photo. It works perfectly so far, and I used my store purchased retail family license Leopard DVD.

Attached Files:

21. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

I installed a store-purchased Leopard DVD on my Hackintosh, not a hacked or patched version. You need to get around the problem of booting it up, but once there, you can do a lot very naturally now.

My comp boots directly into Leopard, if you ignore the fact that it uses a "boot loader" every time.

22. rmwebs macrumors 68040

I've got a white Acer Aspire One that I put OS X on. Works fine, including sound, wifi (replaced the atheros card with a dell broadcom - £12 from ebay) and it works fine. Obviously it needed a bit more ram (came with 1GB, took it up to 1.5GB) however it s running fine with little to no "hacking" to get it working.

Even software update works 100%.

It's not just a crummy Dell that will run OS X! (a crummy Acer will too! :p)

I dont actually use mine as a laptop though. I use it as a mac server...it was cheaper than having a new logic board for my MacMini which died a few months after buying it from eBay...saved a good few hundred quid plus got a built in UPS lol

23. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

Apple can easily stop people from doing this but I guess most people so far are purchainv legit osx to install.

They can simply digitally sign hardware from the factory and any hardware no purchased through apple won't be reconised by the os.
    This won't apply for ram or hard drives.

24. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Apple's smart enough to know that it'll be cracked before the OS even gets to market, accomplishing nothing except annoying legitimate users.

25. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

So far Apple has (very thankfully) not gone the route of Microsoft in trying to fight the endless and losing battle of software-based anti-piracy implementations.

Instead, Apple has depended on good customer service, a high quality product, and developing good relations with its user base in order to promote legal purchases of their products. You will find a whole host of people who would gladly tell you to pirate Windows, and they'd help you do it. On the other hand, talking about pirating Mac OS X will cause a lot of people to voice their opinion that you should just "buy the software." A different outlook.

I own a family license version of the retail DVD for Leopard, and I wouldn't have it any other way: I use it on more than one comp, so I bought more than one license.

If (when?) Apple starts going the route of ridiculously long serials, internet-based sign-ups, software-based scanning software, etc., they will begin to gather the extreme displeasure of their loyal fan base. They tolerate it in FCS and like programs because it's a simple serial key and then that's it. If they do what MS has been doing with their OS, a lot of haters are gonna pop up.