FakeLocation & MLB At Bat no longer works?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by smeg36, Jun 19, 2010.

1. smeg36 macrumors regular

Tonight during the bottom of the 11th of the Marlins game with 2 men on and the Marlins trailing by 1 my power went out! So of course I fired up At Bat 2010, and tried to stream the game, just like I've done many times this season while in the home area. I got the location being faked message, but was then given a blackout message. I don't remember exactly the last time I used it, maybe a week ago. I haven't changed any setting or my fake location from when it as working. I remember there was an update to At Bat that I installed, but don't know if I used FakeLocation since then or not. So has the app fixed this loophole? I hope not. I'm running the most up to date version of both apps. Thanks.

2. Stankonia macrumors regular

What time did the game start? If it was before 7:05 it might be because of MLB's blackout rules that sometimes cause national blackouts. From MLB.com:

Regular Season Weekend U.S. National Live Blackout:
    Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, live games occurring each Saturday with a scheduled start time after 1:10 PM ET or before 7:05 PM ET and each Sunday with a scheduled start time after 5:00 PM ET, will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands). In addition, in the event of extraordinary circumstances that produce a programming conflict, the above blackout windows may be subject to change. If you are an MLB.TV Premium subscriber outside of the United States, each of these games will be available as an archived game as soon as possible after the conclusion of the applicable game. If you are an MLB.TV Premium subscriber within the United States or an MLB.TV subscriber in any territory, each of these games will be available as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the applicable game. Archived games are not available through MLB.com At Bat

3. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

It started at 7:10. But in the past even games that were nationally blacked out worked because I had my location set to Somalia, and it thought I wasn't inthe US.

4. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

Well it's working again today. I don't know what the problem was last night.

5. Stankonia macrumors regular

Thanks for posting about Fake Location by the way, I've been settling for listening to games at work since I didn't know of a way to get around the blackout check

6. circusbass macrumors regular

Just out of curiosity, are you guys mlb.tv members? Or is there a workaround for that as well?

7. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

8. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

I think they are cutting up with this, I have been having a hard time lately too, normally I too set my location in a different country and it used to work just fine, now, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

I seem to be having better luck with 3G than with WiFi, but the it is useless trying to watch a game while on 3G.

I really think they are plugging these, because just tonight I was trying to watch the game (NYY - ARZ ) and I could not see it, but at the same time, my dad, while using my account had no problem been able to watch it online.

Forgot to mention that I'm on the iPad...

9. 6pointprime macrumors newbie

report on location faking and MLB.tv

I've been using Fake Location to watch local games for about three months. When I started three months ago, I got an mlb.tv one month subscription to try it out. I'm mostly concerned with watching Yankee games, and if I couldn't do that I wasn't going to buy a season pass.

Two interesting things happened. When I started it worked fine on my iphone 3gs but not on my ipad. Then there was an update to fake location and it started to work just fine on my iPad as well. I started by using a place in Oklahoma as my fake location. Then there was a national blackout and I had to start using Brazil. It worked on both devices for about a month.

Then it would black me out from Yankee and Met games from time to time. I would change my location to some other country, and sometimes that would work, sometimes it wouldn't. I had success with Afganistan this week but that's not working tonight.

The other interesting thing that happened was that after the first month, it kept working. I was never asked to pay for another month, and my credit card was not charged. So I'm on my third month with MLB.tv and I have only paid for one month of usage.

Anyway, it would be great if someone could find out the rhyme and reason as to why the MLB app let's you get local games sometimes but not at other times...it might help the developers of jailbreak fake location apps to make them work with MLB.

Also, I tried the Location Spoofer app but that never worked.

Thanks,

10. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

Right now I'm using the spoofer and FL at the same time, and I can see a lot of the yankees games, but not all of them, they do have national and worldwide blackouts, I think it is easier to come up with the jailbreak for the iPhone 4 than to understand all of the rules for the blackouts... It depends on the day, time that the game starts, but then you have those games that ether the MLB has its rights to, or some network somewhere else, and MLBtv "has to respect that"

But I think that the reason that it gets harder in time to watch the games is because they are trying to prevent us from doing what we do, the funny thing is that in the process they keep blocking the wrong people, have you been to their forum? is just a joke the things that they do.

At least you have been lucky enough to only pay for one month of service and already got 3 months of service, me on the other side, paid for the full premium subscription ( Almost $130 when I got it ) But hey, live and learn, this is the first and last time I get their service, just like I have been saying on their forum and it keeps getting deleted TO ANYONE THINKING OF GETTING AN MLB TV SUBSCRIPTION... DON'T DO IT!!! THEIR SERVICE IS CRAP!!! :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

11. 6pointprime macrumors newbie

Actually I disagree. I think that the service is overall very good. While I do have trouble getting local games from time to time with Fake Location (and after all, that is not supposed to work), it always works great for getting all the other games. The quality is great, and I've really enjoyed it. Sure, it's great that I've been getting it for free for the past two months, but I'd still say it would be worth the money anyway.

12. island macrumors 6502

island

DITTO! They should hack the app to allow it to work no matter where you are or at least fix one of the 2 location faker apps on Cydia to work correctly.

13. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

You just need to set your location to Alaska. It's still in the country but obviously theres no team in the state so it lets you through.

14. island macrumors 6502

island

I'll give a shot tomorrow, not any games going on this late. :p

Thanks!

15. NickkyJ macrumors regular

16. hidefguy macrumors 6502

So you can watch your local team play. If you don't set a fake location it will be blacked out because if the blackout rules.

BTW I havnt had any issues using fake location. I'm on DIRECTV so I use this to watch the SD Padres, I had it set to Oklahoma but ever since they got the national televised games on Saturdays on Fox, I had to set it to Canada.

17. NickkyJ macrumors regular

18. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

Set it to somewhere outside the US so you can watch nationally blacked out games as well as those in your home market. I'm using Mexico now, and it works perfect.