Faking out the Leopard installer

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Supreme User, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Supreme User macrumors newbie

I tried the"Faking Out the Leopard Installer with Open Firmware" http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/openfirmware.html and after all of the time waiting for my Power Mac to load the installer it decided to tell me I dont have enough RAM. Is there anything I can do to make the installer think I have more Ram than I really do just like how you make it think your processor is better?

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Why would you want to run Leopard on a machine that won't even be able to run it at a decent speed? Faking the processor is fine but if you don't have enough memory then what's the point?

3. grue macrumors 65816

No doubt, it sucks hard enough on machines that actually MEET the minimum spec, I don't know why you'd want to subject yourself to that ;)

4. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I used LeopardAssist to get it running on a 450mHz G4 with 1.5GB of ram. It's pretty close to being unusable. I wouldn't want to even try with less memory.

I'm not 100% sure, but LeopardAssist may trick the installed into thinking there's enough RAM as well as the minimum processor.

5. Cosmoza macrumors member

Cosmoza

I'll do the same, just for the sake of trying, for either 400 or 466 powermac.. sadly currently i have only 3 x 256mb of memory available. Shall see what happens. As well, i'll drop Ati Radeon 9800 pro to 466 (currenly running tiger 10.4) and maybe an DVD-+RW drive. Looking for processor upgrade!