Faking Physical RAM with OpenFirmware on G4 Digital Audio

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ingenious, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    I've been running Leopard on my PowerMac G4 (Digital Audio). When I originally installed it, I used Firewire Target Disk Mode to do the install. Now I need to do a re-install to fix some errors from the 10.5.6 update, but since my MacBook Pro only has FW800, and my cable is 6pin-6pin FW400, I'm trying to use OpenFirmware hacks to install it directly.

I used the hack used by LeopardAssist to set my processor speed (at least as reported to the system by OF) to 867MHz, and the system booted and I was able to launch the set-up application.

Unfortunately, this system does not have the required amount of RAM, and I don't have any PC100 just lying around. Is there any way to use OF to fake the amount of physical RAM I have installed? Or would that assign memory addresses to RAM that does not exist?

Thanks for your help.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    I actually just found some old PC100 (2 128MB sticks and 1 64MB) in an old HP... so far I haven't gotten a true boot on it, but we'll see.

I may check craigslist later... that's a great idea.

thanks.

edit: second stick of 128 i found didn't work, but i raided an old Dell and found one that works. The PowerMac doesn't know what hit it! it doubled its RAM and is getting a fresh Leopard install... working like a dream!