Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you plan to buy the 2020 iPhone this fall?

• Total voters

applefan19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2019
Do you plan to buy a new iPhone model this fall? Thoughts?

I have the 2017 iPhone X. I bought it in summer 2018 and replaced it under AppleCare in January this year because of a hardware issue. Since the battery is relatively new and the iPhone X is still a great phone, I might just keep my iPhone.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
My 8+ has a broken lightning port. I’ll probably update when the new iPhones are available.

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
I have an iPhone X, which I have now kept for 3 years*, which is the longest I have ever gone without upgrading. I am planning on upgrading for sure.

*Actually, it isn’t really the same unit I originally purchased, because the battery swelled up, and Apple was kind enough to swap it out for me

Dualvansmommy

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2014
Nope. I’m pretty happy with my XR which I got last summer, based on my history with iPhones I tend to keep it for 4-6 years.

So a) I may keep this until it starts not to work or pass it on to my oldest kid when he’s ready for a phone in 1/2 years time.

Reactions: applefan19

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I will be upgrading to the 12 Pro Max and already have my money set up in my 2nd account. I even have a 12 Pro Max dummy unit arriving on Thursday, so I can compare the size with my XS Max.

Reactions: SegNerd

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
I’m thinking of upgrading I still have iPhone excitement cause I just upgraded to a 11 pro max so I feel anxious for more of Apple

But I just see how fast and capable my current phone is so I would have to take considerations that this phone is still excellent.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If theY come out with a SE plus I will buy a new phone otherwise I love my 8 plus.

It’s been reported many times Over, there will be no iPhone SE Plus in 2020, two credible analysts [Kuo/Prosser] have said this first quarter 2021.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
Still on my iPhone 7 bought new in 2016.

I may or may not buy a 12. Depends how much I like it and how much it costs. Still a chance I’ll buy an SE but right now the 7 is still doing fine and I feel no need to replace it with a look-alike. We’ll see.

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
I've been going back and fourth on upgrading from my X (got a 256gb from a 2018 VZW Black Friday deal for $650) to the rumored 5.4'' iPhone this year.

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping my X for another year and re-upping AppleCare+ when it expires in November. My X does everything I need at the moment, especially now that I'm slated to WFH for the rest of the year. A better camera would be nice, as would a longer lasting battery (currently 90% max). But I'm not inconvenienced by either of those at the moment.

I'd love a smaller device, but it feels like an excessive purchase when I'm not using my phone as much these days. Spending more time on bigger screen devices (work MPB, personal MBA, and my iPad).

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
I’m in the maybe category. Just bought an XS because the 11 Pros cost too much and the 11 didn’t have enough storage. If the 12 Pro comes with Pro Motion I’ll hop on it. If not, I’ll ride the XS train another year or jump on a reduced price 11 Pro.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
I have a X and while its a great phone and I have no real "need" to upgrade. Ive had it for three years which is the longest Ive gone without an upgrade so ill be upgrading this fall. Im a pretty avid photographer and my mother has the 11 pro max and Im constantly amazed by the cameras even with her novice skills.

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
I bought an 11 Pro Max last year to replace my X and had every intention of upgrading to the 12 Pro this year but the rumours increasingly make me think its not going to be worth the cost.

I might stick it out for the 13 Pro and hope for some bigger improvements.

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
Most likely I will upgrade. I am on my launch day X and it's still a great phone, just as zippy as on day 1 (which is a huge improvement when I compare it to my former 6, which got terribly slow after 2+ years), but after three years with one phone I feel excused to get a new one. Besides, I got really jealous of the cameras seeing the wide angle and night mode on the 11 series. As I take lots of pictures, the step forward in the camera tech over the last years is definitely something I look forward to. Also looking forward to the redesign, I love my iPP, so it'll be interesting to see how this design translates into iPhone's size.

Last edited:

applefan19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2019
All great responses! Since I am still happy with my iPhone X, I might just get a new Apple Watch this fall. I have the series 4 now and would like a fresh look plus the always-on display (AWD)! The 5 didn’t have enough upgrades with just the AWD, so I’ll have to see what the series 6 offers.
[automerge]1594845551[/automerge]
I will be upgrading to the 12 Pro Max and already have my money set up in my 2nd account. I even have a 12 Pro Max dummy unit arriving on Thursday, so I can compare the size with my XS Max.
How is there a dummy unit when the new iPhones haven’t officially been released or announced? What’s new?

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
All great responses! Since I am still happy with my iPhone X, I might just get a new Apple Watch this fall. I have the series 4 now and would like a fresh look plus the always-on display (AWD)! The 5 didn’t have enough upgrades with just the AWD, so I’ll have to see what the series 6 offers.
[automerge]1594845551[/automerge]

How is there a dummy unit when the new iPhones haven’t officially been released or announced? What’s new?

Not sure I've heard of any new features for the Apple watch, aside from maybe a facetime camera.

The dummy unit's come from case manufacturer specs of the device, which are released early, and they create molds from.

alphaswift

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
I have an X and it's doing all right by me. I was thinking about an upgrade, but I heard Pro Motion got tossed so now I'm not really seeing a compelling reason to update. My Series 3 watch is definitely getting updated though.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'm on the 7 Plus. I'd like to get the 12 Pro or 12 Pro Max for 5G, 6 GB RAM, and improved camera.

However, even though my phone is 4 years old now, sometimes it's hard to justify the upgrade, considering it still works fine, and the battery capacity is still OK at 88% (after a replacement under Apple's cheap battery replacement program a couple of years ago). Even the camera is reasonably decent.

In the last year though, I have noticed some lag occasionally. A10 is mostly OK, but sometimes we MacRumor iDevice geeks enthusiasts notice these things. OTOH, my wife loves her A10 iPad and has no complaints about lag. Both of these devices have 3 GB RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.