Fall Detection called Emergency Services for my grandfather!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by DiamondGCoupe, May 30, 2019.

1. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

My grand father (age 87) hurt his back a few weeks ago after falling out of a chair. I immediately ordered him a new AWS4 so it would have Fall Detection in it. Within about three hours of setting it up, sure enough he accidentally fell again and it called my Uncle and an ambulance right away without him doing anything! My Uncle arrived just as the ambulance was. I wish he didn’t need to use it so soon but I’m so thankful it worked!

Be sure to double check your settings and make sure Fall detection is on, and you’ve added a contact to call. Doesn’t matter your age, it can happen to anyone and it’s off by default unless you’re over
    A certain age.

Go to Apple Watch app on your iPhone then scroll to “Emergency SOS”

2. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

My wife and I volunteer at several nursing homes and we can verify that falls are one of the greatest hazards that face senior citizens. Apple Watches are probably too expensive for most of those folks but anything that can detect falls is a must. I'm glad to hear that the AW worked well for your 87 year old Grandad.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

The interesting thing is. With fall detection and the ECG function. Providing an Apple watch to the elderly would likely be cheaper for insurance including medicaid rather than them not having one. As it is generally much cheaper to treat a problem when it first occurs then to allow it to fester.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Just be aware that fall detection does not always work. If the fall does not expose the watch to sufficient G force, it will not activate.

Make sure the person also knows how to deactivate if the watch activates in an non-emergency.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Good point. I didn't think of the G-Force problem. I wonder how the watch reacts if someones hobby is something like carpentry? There's a lot of quick acceleration and deceleration when using a hammer or sanding by hand.

6. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

Very cool. Glad it was helpful already.

Good point and teach them them can make a call without touching it with voice commands also.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have set my S4 off multiple times by accidentally hitting my arm on something. First time it happened I had to run for my glasses to see what to hit to cancel. I was slapping my tennis shoes on the floor before putting on in the garage and it set it off.

The G-Force is how the watch emergency is activated.

8. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

I have set it off clapping my hands together calling the dog hard claps.

9. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

I think that's one of the reasons why fall detection is off by default for people under 65. There's a lot of scenarios where you can see a false positive being registered.

10. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

For me chopping ice on the driveway this winter. But better safe than