Fall release of Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Freida, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Freida macrumors 65816

Hey guys, not sure if you have noticed or anyone already mentioned that but did you notice in the Pixar video how the guy said that he can't wait for fall? That implies that Mac Pro will be released this fall so basically all we have to do is wait 3 months. Not that bad, right? :)

2. saschke macrumors 6502

Business support in the Apple Store Cologne told me a Fall release is highly likely, too. Doubt they know anything more specific though :)

3. Bear macrumors G3

I'm guessing it will release when Mavericks is released or shortly after.

4. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I think the crucial component that Apple needs now, besides the E5 processors, for a fall release is TB 2.0. Intel is saying late 2013 and ramp up in early 2014. Apple has been very supportive of TB 1.0 so maybe Apple will get TB 2.0 a few months early and this will to allow for a fall release of the Mac Pro.

Maybe not.

5. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

There are three unreleased potential blockers to release.

a. As noted above, probably depends upon Mavericks enhancements.

b. Xeon E5. In 2012 Intel announced the E5 v1 products in March. They didn't ship in volume until April-May. Even if Intel Announces in Aug-Sept there could still be a wait. ( not as likely as last year since this is primary a process shrink, but they have done it before. )

c. TB v2. Wasn't suppose to ship until 2014. Volume ships still are not projected by Intel until 2014. Apple could hog all the initial production runs but presumes there are no glitches in the silicon that need to be worked out that delays the initial production runs.

Technically Fall runs to Dec 21st so Apple's "some time in 2013" isn't that much longer of broad window.

It wouldn't be all that surprising to see "desktop roll out day" with mini , iMac and Mac Pro in October though. ( with availability on the Mac Pro spotty at first, driving "we are selling them as fast as we can make them" responses from Apple. )