Falling asleep and rolling over phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sjn419, Jul 8, 2010.

1. sjn419 macrumors regular

I've done this a couple times and the phone has been okay but do yout hink I run a real chance of crushing it? I know putting a phone in your back pocket then sitting on it can have disastrous results but thats a lot more pressure/impact

2. t-rev macrumors member

If you're concerned about don't sleep with your phone. Who the hell sleeps with their phone?

3. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

It shouldn't, I've woken up with my 3G behind my back, it hurt though haha but it didn't break. This iPhone maybe be more fragile but if it's pushed aginst the mattress it should be okay.

4. Aaron J macrumors newbie

man, I do that all the time!! Sometimes I am in bed with the phone on my chest catching up on some Mikey Show (San Diego) podcasts and fall asleep, then wake up and catch hell trying to find the damn phone in the house. only to discover it wrapped in the comforter!

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Someone who loves their phone more than you.

We may have to have child protective services visit you if you're apparently not going to love your iPhone to the extent it deserves.

6. unfeomateo macrumors member

This does not help the OP and you sound like a jerk.

I have fallen asleep with my phone before and it was fine. If you use headphones then that could be an issue.

7. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

I've fallen asleep with my iphone 4 in my bed a couple of times. No damage i believe the softness of the bed may help with not breaking the glass.

8. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

my GF has sat on my lap / thigh several times with my 3G in my pocket, and that's putting definitely more weight onto the phone than just rolling over it with your back (also, your bed should be somewhat soft, so the phone will just be pushed into the soft mattress)

i do think that, while breakable by sudden drops onto the edge, overall the iPhone 4 looks pretty durable.
    'shock' damage hurts more than overall pressure i suppose

9. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

have you ever passed out before? phone in pocket?

10. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I sleep with my phone because I use it as an alarm and it's not very loud.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Make that 3. Bet you wouldn't call me that to my face. :p

12. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I do it to, I doubt it can hurt it unless you push it off the bed.

13. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

HaHa I did this today with mine, woke up with a bruised jaw, think I may have fallen asleep on it or something lol

14. McBeats macrumors 6502a

I do it too, a lot. Several times, I woke up realizing I was sleeping on my ipod touch. with this new iphone4, I tend to put it several feet away from me when falling asleep.

15. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Guilty here too. Had too many beers and was listening to pandora. Woke up hours later with an iPhone 4 under my back. First thing I did was scope the phone out. Not a scratch :)

I'm gonna try and be more careful not to do this again. I'm 6'5 240 and it wouldn't take much for me to break it :p

16. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

I have a stereo dock that charges my phone next to me on my night stand so NOPE i dont fall asleep with my iphone.

17. LocoMoco macrumors member

18. elephantinc macrumors member

Do you just call her fat? :p

But you definitely running the risk of breaking it, although if you have a case or bumper, coupled with the soft mattress it should be ok.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you roll over it, the pressure is going to be distributed evenly throughout so it's less of a concern than dropping or hitting it which centralizes the pressure upon impact.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My iPhone 4 snores. I think it's a defect. Does yours? Should I call Apple or schedule a Genius Bar appointment?

21. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

These thread titles get funnier n funnier!
    I used to do this. I'd fall asleep with the phone next to me and wake up with it under me. Or it would be under my girlfriend so I'd call it so it would vibrate and get her to move!
    2 reasons I stopped falling asleep with it
    1. I think it's not healthy to have the phone against your skin for all those hours.
    2. I imagined flinging the sheet or blanket and seeing my phone fly across the room.

22. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Crush an iPhone by sleeping on it. Are you kidding?

23. AJerman macrumors member

24. PUCCY macrumors regular

i always sleep with my phone but i never role over it. usually closer to the edge of the bed

25. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

I've woken up next to my iPhone or iPad more than once. My wife falls asleep to her nano (in a clear case) almost every night. My biggest worry is her getting tangled in the headphone cables.
    A few years ago I cracked a PDA screen with my elbow when I rolled over.