Fallout 1 for mac not working

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by ryface, Aug 12, 2010.

1. ryface macrumors newbie

Hello!
    Just downloaded the first Fallout and after trying to play it the screen goes black/grey and the game is confined to the left hand side and is scrambled.
    I'm running on a macbook os x version 10.5.8. Anyone know how to sort this out?

2. Princess Cake macrumors member

I think with the recent updates Apple got rid of 8-bit color support. I too have Fallout 1 (Mac version) and it no longer works. For me I get the "Duck, and coverrr!" thing and the loading screen then it's all black but still with sound.

Only way to play Fallout 1 now is either to use Crossover/Parallels/VM/Boot Camp and run the Windows version... or hope Apple realizes it's still needed for some things.

Note: On Crossover, Fallout 1 for Windows works great but the cursor movement is slow as all hell.

3. SuperMatt macrumors 6502

SuperMatt

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I can play fallout without a problem on my macbook pro 17" 2.8GHz (mid-2009) with 10.6.4.

Maybe snow leopard is the difference? Maybe the graphics card? Who knows. I used to play it on my Pismo until I finally upgraded to this machine last year.

Matthew

4. Princess Cake macrumors member

I heard some users with nVidia cards still play it fine, but all ATI cards are black screens.

...Curse my ATI 2600 Pro :-(