fallout 3 keeps locking up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JJBro1, Jul 12, 2009.

1. JJBro1 macrumors regular

I just got this game the other day via steam and I've finally found an internet connection good enough to download it on. So it finished downloading today so i decided to play it. Im running windows vista via boot camp on a 17 inch macbook pro with 4gb of ram intel 2 duo core 3.06ghz processor and a 96000m nvidia geforce graphics card. Everything was running fine from when i was born to my birthday to the goat test and then all of a sudden, when it was time for me to leave the vault, it would lock up on me. It locked up on me once and i thought that was just a random occurence and that it wouldn't happen again. It didn't for a while but once I came to the part where the overseer was interrogating his daughter it was guarateed to lock up at any time during that period. When i mean lock up i mean the game would behave as if there is no keyboard or mouse. I can't move the mouse, I can't type anything. What I am able to do is alt tab out of the game. When i try to restore the window of the game after i alt tab it, the bar (I forget what its called) that is on the top of every window with the close restore maximize buttons, would come up but that would be it. The task manager says that the program is responding, but I would have the end the task because I can't get any further. I don't have any other problems with games that i have downloaded on steam such as left 4 dead and I don't have any problems with games that I've installed through a cd like republic commando. This is the first and only game that does this. I know there are alot of people with freezing problems but none of them seem to fit my case especially since im running windows on a macbook. Any suggestions?

2. Jim82 macrumors member

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the program? Kind of a lot of work, but that might clear it up. Your hardware should run that just find. Also, try decreasing your screen resolution and some of the other settings to decrease the use of your GPU and c2d.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

did you install the most recent patch?

4. JJBro1 thread starter macrumors regular

yes i have just completed installing the patch and i get the same thing.

5. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

I need to first mention that Fallout 3, even with the latest patch, is a VERY quirky game. It can be assumed that the game WILL crash, though this can depend on many factors. For me it seems to be issues with the sound engine. You may get better feedback if you post this on the official Bethesda Softworks fallout 3 pc help sub-forum:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=36

6. Blair230 macrumors regular

Windows through bootcamp shouldnt matter at all. Have you changed drivers from bootcamp? I know some people use aftermarket or unsupported drivers.

It also can be a problem with some of the plugins you use. There are alot of posts on this at the fallout3 forums.

I am running Fallout 3 with the 1.5 patch on an iMac with no problems.

The other tip you can try is loggin out of GFWL (games for windows live) and try playing while you are logged out. Some people experienced crashes more frequently when logged into GFWL.

I would also suggest going to the fallout3 forums and asking there.

Good luck!